Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Standard Playback DVD Plus Data Folder access?

Jan 13, 2014 11:24 AM

Tags: #dvd_plus_data

Hi.

I am interested in making a DVD which plays back a video according to a chapter reference when the DVD launches.  At the same time I have to enable the user to have access to a data folder that they can view on their computer (or even on their television via some sort of Flash interface).  What is the best approach for this type of DVD?  Also, does it matter whether the DVD is DVD-R, DVD+R, or Blu-Ray?  The data has to access html content, flash content, and PDF content, and perhaps other content as well.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2014 11:31 AM   in reply to markerline

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/402446 talks about DVD-ROM content... which I think would be BD-ROM for a BluRay http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1340438?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 12:04 PM   in reply to markerline

Content to be opened on the computer can be put in ROM content. As long as you don't exceed the disk size, it will not interfere with burning the disk.

But you cannot access such content using a DVD/BD player.

One approach is to include a menu on the DVD that tells the user how to access the content on the computer.

But they must stop watching as a DVD/BD, and open the files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 12:33 PM   in reply to markerline

No. The computer is using a software player, which acts like a regular DVD machine. I don't think another program can access the drive.

(Can you see me? I have this mad scientist look...)

So the menu/instruction panel tells them to copy the ROM folder to their desktop, open "MyBigFatProject" on monitor one and restart the DVD and position on Monitor 2. Then they just watch the DVD on one screen, and do your BigFatProject on the other...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 1:36 PM   in reply to markerline

Let us know what kind of Frankenstein you create!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:48 AM   in reply to markerline

Hey! This is exactly what I need to accomplish as well. How did you end up doing this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 12:14 PM   in reply to markerline

markerline wrote:

That sounds like a good solution Stan.  If they open the DVD on the computer can they watch the video content and access the data portion all from the DVD chapter menu?  I realize this is not possible on a DVD player, but since it's a computer..... is it possible?  (For example, I use InterVideo DVD to watch DVD's but there are chapters to click on at the beginning or at any point I return to the chapter menu.  Can InterVideo DVD open the PDF or other content from the chapter menu directly on the computer as the video is paused?)

One thing to bear in mind is that the 2 sections are mutually exclusive to each other & not easily interactive. Think of it this way - a DVD with both DVD-V and DVD-ROM content is in reality 2 separate titles on one disc. The folder structure on the finished DVD gives you the clues:

VIDEO_TS = this contains the VOB & IFO files that a set top player or a soft player will need to play the disc back. The ROM content must live outside of this folder (usually either on the root of the disc or else in a separate ROM folder (name is up to you). as it is not part of the DVD specification.

All content for the ROM section can be added in a couple of ways - either by simply adding all the files you need to and letting the user browse the content via explorer, or else fire up Director (I would avoid Flash as Apple devices will not play Flash video) and create a front end for it all - this is very time consuming though. The final option is to create a sort of website and add that to the ROM section.

We used to have an application that would put limited hooks into the Video_TS allowing limited interaction between the folders but this was discontuinued ages ago because it just did not really work very well - too many variables.

To know what goes where, look at it this way: Anything that is not authored within Encore (which accepts menus, videos to DVD spoecs and audio to DVD specs) such as PDF, DOC, H264 video etc must live in the ROM section - we have done discs where the main content was an entire album set to a slideshow with 24/96 stereo audio, a 30 minute piece of live footage & an easter egg, plus in the ROM section we added the H264 High Definition video footage for Tablets & desktops and lower res versions for smart phones etc. The hardest part is getting all the maths right so everything will fit.

Post back if further info is needed?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points