Skip navigation
MelandSonja
Currently Being Moderated

How do I insert a .pdf file into my website and have others open it?  I have not had success so far

Jan 14, 2014 5:18 PM

I have tried to ihnsert a .pdf file on my website using Dreamweaver.  However, this has been unsuccessful.  Does anyone know how to do it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2014 7:01 PM   in reply to MelandSonja

Simply adding a link to a PDF file should work.  Can we see a link to the page in question?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 7:25 PM   in reply to MelandSonja

You could also display the pdf file on your webpage using a code such as this:

<iframe src="0331693_l_edited-3.pdf" width="800" height="500">

The above code is in the simplest form containing:

File Name

Width of the window

Height of the window

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 6:11 AM   in reply to MelandSonja

Keep in mind, if you attempt to display a .pdf on your web page (using embed or iframe tags), you are at the mercy of the viewer's settings whether it displays in browser, opens Acrobat or downloads as a file.

There is no way to force a pdf to display in-browser. If the viewer's settings don't allow it, it's not happening.

SnakeEyez has the right approach in my opinion. Link to the file and let the viewer's personal settings take it from there.

<a href="your_pdf_file.pdf">Click here</a>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 9:30 AM   in reply to MelandSonja

PDFs are media files that require helper apps and plugins to open in browsers.  Many people don't have them. 

It's a nice courtesy to add a small thumbnail  to give folks some idea of what the PDF contains.   Also include the file size and a direct link to the file.   As Jon said, end user settings vary quite a bit.  You can't control what people do with PDFs.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points