Currently Being Moderated

combine 2 photos

Jan 15, 2014 3:28 AM

Hi

1)

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

2)

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

Which is  the most accurate method for to change white background with mountain with photoshop cc ? Please

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2014 3:31 AM   in reply to martino papesso

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 3:44 AM   in reply to martino papesso

Put the picture of the woman on a layer over the picture of the mountains. After that there's a million ways of masking out the background, but if You add a layer mask to the top layer, and mask out a selection of the "white" You should be off to a good start.

Screenshot 2014-01-15 12.38.50.png

A quick edit to show You what i mean. But You have to do a better selection / mask than this to make it look realistic. Do something like this, and refine the edge a bit and You should be all set.

d.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 3:41 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

There's more options to do this, but i tried it with layer style blend.

blend.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 8:46 AM   in reply to martino papesso

If You are using a layer mask; as i often do; You can simply paint over the areas with a normal brush; using black as the color. With layer masks You can also select an area (for example with the lasso tool) and fill it with black to mask it out.

A layer mask works like this: It shows what's white, and hides what's black. So with this method Yuo are giving Your self a lot of options on how to do it. If i have one single advice to give; it will have to be: Get used to work with layer masks. It's an awsome tool.

To give You an understanding of layer masks; take a look at this 9 minute video from Larry Lourcey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrKR07ofRRE

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 15, 2014 10:11 AM   in reply to martino papesso

With a pure white background like you have. The best way is to use blending mode Multiply. White will change nothing. With a poor less then perfect mask that is undersize you can regain details in fringe area like Hair.  Your image is too easy to show that.

Capture.jpg

Look ate this

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/TUpShrp800.jpg

Multiply

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Multiply.jpg

Add Poor layer mask

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/TryHard800.jpg

Change blending to normal shows how poor the mask is: Look at the missing hair

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/TryHard800Normal.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 4:47 PM   in reply to JJMack

I don't get it. Why would You add a "poor layer mask"? In fact. Why would You add a "poor anything" to a photo?

If the option is to make a "poor mask" or "poor job"; every other way is better. Even the use of blending mode. That's why it's important to make a good mask. Like in every step in Photoshop; do it well.

In this case blending mode works. Because the background is easily blended. And because there's no colorst in the subject that will be blended. And so on. A photo that can be blended like that is something i see _perhaps_ one of a hundred times. So i think its important to show other ways of doing it to people that want to learn.

There's no "right or wrong" here. As with most things in Photoshop there's many ways of getting the job done. Learning how to do it a way that will work on _every_ photo is probably better than learning how to do it in a photo that might be unique for a long long time in a workflow.

Again. There's no right or wrong. If You use only pictures with "blendable" backgrounds; "blending mode" works. If not; You have to look at alternatives.

It does take a bit more work to mask out details like hair. But sooner or later it needs to be learned ...

And exemplifying that "this or that way" is better by showing off a bad way of doing alternatives, is not a good way of showing alternative ways or options ;-)

ps. i refrained from posting a picture with a poor "blend mode" as i'm sure most people knows what that would do ... ;-)

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 15, 2014 5:56 PM   in reply to NoISv

KyrreBaker wrote:

I don't get it. Why would You add a "poor layer mask"? In fact. Why would You add a "poor anything" to a photo?

If the option is to make a "poor mask" or "poor job"; every other way is better. Even the use of blending mode. That's why it's important to make a good mask. Like in every step in Photoshop; do it well.

You simply don't get.  There was no mention of doing a poor job. No one would advise doing a poor job. Did you eyes see a poor job done. I think not. 

The simple truth is, If you spend a lot of time trying to create a perfect layer mask for a subject with things like wispy fly away hair your not going to be able to. Any mask you create will have problems in hair fringe areas.  

When the original background is white there is no need for a perfect mask no need to waste a lot of time creating a very good mask.  That does need to be done when the background is not white. When the background is white It best to mask off those fringe area and recover the masked off hair using blending mode multiply for white effect nothing and the hair masked off  will darken the replacement background when blending with multiply. Thus the wispy hairs are recovered. 

Likewise Black effect nothing when blending in screen mode knowledge like this can help you do a very good job instead of a poor job. Often you don't need a perfect layer mask to do a very good job creating a composite.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,950 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 15, 2014 6:13 PM   in reply to JJMack

Keying a video green screen is a reasonable comparison, because you only need a good key around, and close to, the subject.  If you don't have perfect light on the BG and are getting some leakage, you can use a rough mask to exclude it.  Same thing with JJ’s example where you only need a good selection around the subject boundary, and can fix inside leakage in a moment with quick use of the lasso tool.  Just like you would do when reinforcing an Alpha channel mask.

Personally, I almost never ever use layer Blend modes or Blend if to composite layers.  The more appropriate the subject matter would be for using blend if, then generally, the easier it would be to select, or to exist as a standalone object with transparency.  Making selections is just so fast and easy nowadays.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2014 7:09 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote

You simply don't get.  There was no mention of doing a poor job. No one would advise doing a poor job. Did you eyes see a poor job done. I think not. 

I was simply refering to that You wrote the line "Add Poor layer mask" between two of Your pictures. So yes; there was clearly a mention of poor layer masks. Making poor layer masks comes from doing a poor job.

When the original background is white there is no need for a perfect mask no need to waste a lot of time creating a very good mask.  That does need to be done when the background is not white.

My point exactly! Looks like i got it anyway! ;-) So why don't explain other ways to do it as well? So the person can try himself/herself to see what fits that person the best? And why don't explain a method that works on "every" picture and not only if the picture follows certain "rules" or "backgrounds"?

Anyway; this is a useless discussion. Making a "poor mask" is just as "poor work" as making a "poor blend" or "poor whatever". We tried to show of two different ways of getting to the same result; that's all. As i wrote a couple of times; there's no right or wrong. There's only different ways of doing it. I'm not even debating what's the "best" way for this picture. But the question will be asked again by someone that don't have a uniform background to blend and mybe i should have shut up untill then.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 16, 2014 8:06 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor

Try masking  my example.  I believe you will find its impossible to create a as you put it good selection around the subject boundary.  The hair is to complex.  If you try you will find that you wind up with white fringing in the hair in your composite. That has to be addressed,  I chose to address that problem by making the your good mask poorer so that the white fringe is masked off so it no loner exists. In doing that the poorer mask also masks off some of the hair in the boundary areas.  This I recovered buy using a blending mode.   In this case you good mask works poorer then a poorer mask in conjunction with a blend mode. Blend if gray and splitting the slider work well with some background however when the original background is white blending node multiply has an advantage.   I find some times it pays to try different blending mode. When it come to Black and White blend mode Screen and Multiply can very useful.

MixingColors.jpg

Screen to add a bright star to a New Zealand blur sky no mask needed

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,950 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jan 17, 2014 3:03 AM   in reply to JJMack

Yes JJ.  A difficult selection to be sure.  Refine edge can get a close to fringe free selection at the lost of detail. A blue copy alpha channel gets more of the hair, at the cost of white fringing.  Not sure what the new poster is getting so worked up about.  Who is he anyway?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jan 20, 2014 8:09 AM   in reply to martino papesso

To me was a poor layer mask is. Is a mask that on its own fails to mask something convincingly. For example with my example image if you refine edge, a third party plug-in like fluid mask or start with a channel to mask the subject.  The best mask that you can come up with will have problems. Though your trying to create a perfect mask its not possible.  This mask will need help. When there is complex background other the single color like my example the mask will be even harder to create and be even poorer.  However it will be the best mask you can make.  You will need to address the areas that fail to work well some way.  There are many ways to address problem areas. Like adding a layer and paint in hair with brushes. Or to just darken the fringe white area.  The way I addressed the problem area was to actually make the best mask I was able to come up with. Was to make the mask even poorer to eliminate the white fringes.  In doing so not only was the white fringes masked off so was some of the hair. I recovered the masked off hair using blend mode multiply because I knew that the white in the original image would cause no change the the replacement background the is above the original image however the hair would darken the replacement.  I mask the replacement background not the image layer. The mask hides and area in the replacement background on top of the original image to let the subject show through. However the mask cuts off some if the hair.  If you look at my original append you can see in the screen capture how the masking is done.  In my first composite you can see how multiply works without a mask. The hair fringe areas looks great however the images are blended together in the subject while the original white background has no effect on the upper layer. The next composite has the poorer layer mask added. It look great. The next composite show how poor this layer mask works on its own.  Look at the missing hair.  Here are the two layer mask I came up with.  The fist is a good mask but its poor for it produces white fringe areas.  The second mask is poor produces no white fringe areas however it also mask off some hair.  IMO its imposible to create a perfect mask for the image.

Good Poor Mask An old tutorial http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/ReplaceBG.html

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/TryHardMask800.jpg

Poorer but better mask when used with multiply and an image with white background.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/TryHardLayerMask800.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points