Skip navigation
GB-92
Currently Being Moderated

In Premiere Elements 8, None of my projects will open. Says projects were created in Premiere Pro

Jan 15, 2014 1:12 PM

Tags: #problem #help #premiere_pro #failure #project #premiere_elements_8 #not_loading

In Premiere Elements 8, None of my projects will open. Says projects were created in Premiere Pro, when they were not. Cannot create new projects either. Basically, the program is completely bricked an unable to do anything once it gets past the welcome screen.

My projects are all saved as .prel

They were all working, when suddenly none of them would work any more. I can no longer use this program, and I really need to. Have already tried running the program as an administrator and creating a second admin account. Also tried going to the basic graphics driver.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2014 6:44 PM   in reply to GB-92

GB-92

Let us get the basic Premiere Elements 8 questions out of the way first.

1. Are you still running the program as the 8.0.1 Update?

2. Do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?

3. Have you right clicked the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 desktop icon, selected and clicked on Run As Administrator?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTIme installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

5. Have you gone the route of Uninstall/ccleaner run through - regular and registry components of the cleaner), reinstall?

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

6. Have you checked for pile ups of preview files, conformed video files, and conformed audio files?

Please describe your computer operating system and its resources.

Please review the above and let us know the details.

My first thought is that it is time for the uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall scheme.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 4:51 AM   in reply to GB-92

Download and install the 8.01 update from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653 and see if that helps.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 7:18 AM   in reply to GB-92

GB-92

Thanks for the helpful additional information. Because of the nature of the description of your problem (references to Premiere Pro which you do not have et al), I would encourage you to go directly to the following which I suggested previously by the following question.

5. Have you gone the route of Uninstall/ccleaner run through - regular and registry components of the cleaner), reinstall?

1. Uninstall Premiere Elements 8 via the usual Control Panel/Installed Program area route.

2. Download and install the free ccleaner and run the computer through its regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Open the program to see something like

cc1.JPG

Click on "Run Cleaner" with the "Cleaner Tab" selected in the left column of the dialog. Click OK to the pop up to initiate the automatic process.

After the regular cleaner portion is done, then click on "Registry" in the left column of the dialog. It should look something like

cc2.JPG

Click on "Scan for Issues"

when done

Click on "Fix selected issues"

when pop up appears

Click Yes to "backup changes to the registry"

when done

Click "Fix selected issues" in the pop up that now appears

when done

Click Close.

Please read all the details in the ccleaner link before starting. If you need clarification on anything written before you begin, please do not hesitate to ask.

I use this procedure routine for computer maintenance without issues (Windows XP 32 bit as well as Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 64 bit). It is a widesly used tool.

We will be watching for further developments.

3. Reinstall Premiere Elements 8 with antivirus and firewalls off. After installation of 8, now do the download and installation of the 8.0.1 update from Adobe via the link

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

That 8.0.1 installation can be done with Premiere Elements 8 closed.

Adobe set up that 8.0.1 Update so that they is no 8.0.1 shown in the program after installation of it. You will probably get a message of installation completed successful. The major evidence that it has been installed will be the turn off of the previously default "Automatic Background Rendering" in preferences. You still have to turn off the "Automatic AutoAnalzyer" in Elements Organizer, a must do.

Please review the above.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2014 2:24 PM   in reply to GB-92

GB-92

If you stay on the same computer, you should be OK. But, if you decide to take Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 to another computer, that will matter.

Activation matters, including programs that go down with a crashed computer, can be taken care of quickly by Adobe Chat online even if you do not have the latest version.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=se rial-number-issues-or-activating-my-product

If you should ever run into such a situation, open the above link and click on the "I still need help" tab to bring up the Adobe Chat.

Assure that you have the correct serial number to use for the reinstall.

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2014 8:49 PM   in reply to GB-92

GB-92

Thanks for the update and your troubleshooting. Sorry your news was not better.

Are you still get those Premiere Pro messages in spite of all the computer clean up and uninstall/reinstall you have done?

If you open the program from the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, is the situation affected any.

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Premiere Elements 8.0

and in the Premiere Elements 8.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file that you double click to try to open the program. When you do this, you bypass the Welcome Screen. It is the Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.exe in that same area that is typically triggered by the desktop icon and opens the program to the Welcome Screen.

If that still does not open the program, then create an additional User Account with Administrative Privileges and try to open the program in that. Also, be sure also to right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and select Run As Administrator.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points