Skip navigation
modphx
Currently Being Moderated

Space bar doesn't move shape while drawing

Jan 17, 2014 2:18 PM

As of today's update to Illustrator 17.1 it seems that you cannot use the spacebard while in the middle of drawing a shape (a rectangle, circle, etc.) any more. I don't see a preference to turn this back on. This was an incredibly useful feature. Am I missing something here?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2014 7:38 PM   in reply to modphx

Hi modphx,

Can you recall few steps which after which you get into this situation?

It will help us diagnose this problem better.

Sanjay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 12:19 AM   in reply to modphx

If its happening in photoshop too then it might not be related to update. Can you try few things.

While you are stuck and not receiving space bar events, try going to some text editor typing some text with space. Come back to Ai and try using space.

Try the text tool in Ai and try typing something with space.

Try this after switching few tools.

Let us know your findings with these experiments.

Sanjay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 6:24 AM   in reply to modphx

Hi,

I am not saying that it is a hardware issue. If you perform these steps when space bar is not working, it will tell us how thus can be recovered and how to look for potential fixes.

Sanjay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 6:49 AM   in reply to modphx

In that case I can recommend is to find a more reproducible step which lands you in this situation more frequently. e.g. Open document, select which tool, by pressing mouse or key shortcut, mouse drag etc.

Sequence of events are helpful in identifying the cause and fix.

Sanjay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 7:31 AM   in reply to modphx

It looks so simple to reproduce. Since it is happening both in Ai and PS, it does not seem to be related to preferences. But there is no harm in cleaning the preferences once to set everything in order.

You can try going to folder ~/Library/Adobe and look for Adobe illustrator cc folder to trash them.

If that doesn't fix the issue, we may try having a screen sharing session on your MBP.

Sanjay.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 1:35 PM   in reply to modphx

do you happen to use Firefox? if so, tryi quitting firefox and see if that fixes it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 2:17 PM   in reply to modphx

modphx,

To follow up on the answer form mec_os, it may be some plugin in Firefox; or it may be something else.

Sometimes Illy gets confused when others are disturbing her. You can see a list of the usual suspects in the Other options (follow the link with that name).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 2:55 PM   in reply to modphx

modphx,

I don't think the issue was caused by another application. I noticed the change immediately after updating to Illustrator 17.1, within minutes of updating.

You can hardly rule out interference from other applications unless you have the issue when everything else is shut down/disabled.

You have googled acrobat temp files location?

There seems to be quite a few hits that seem relevant.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points