Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I see the color of the hex value in a style sheet in DW CC

Jan 18, 2014 2:53 PM

I simply want to click on a hex value (#c1c1c1) in a style and see what color it is. I can't find it anywhere. Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2014 3:12 PM   in reply to RichieWhite

See screenshot from the CSS Designer tutorial.

helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/css-designer.html

Notice where it says color under display?

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/css-designer/_jcr_content/main-pars/image_5.img.png/cssdesigner_live2.png

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2014 11:29 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

Sorry.  Clicking on hex code doesn't do anything. 

In code view CSS, type color: +spacebar.  Code hinting will invoke a window.  Double-click on Color to bring up the color-picker tool.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 6:34 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

If you want to go back to the old style css editor, hit Ctrl + Option/Alt + Shift +P

That will turn the CSS Designer back into the old CSS Panel.

It's not clear why this is an undocumented feature, so there's no telling if it will remain a feature going into newer versions of CC, but as of 13.2 Build 6466 it is available as an option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 6:46 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

RichieWhite wrote:

I simply want to click on a hex value (#c1c1c1) in a style and see what color it is. I can't find it anywhere. Please help!

I thought some of the answers above felt strange. Why wouldn't DW show you the color of a hex code when you clicked it. So I fiddled around a bit and as far as I can tell, if you click on a hex color within the css of a page (or a css file) the CSS Designer does show you the color.

When I click on #AF070A in my .css file, it shows the color in the Properties sub window of the CSS Designer panel.

You have to scroll down a touch, but it's there...

css-test.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 9:44 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

Hello Richie,

maybe you could use this small detour, I made here. I marked the wished text, wrote the "#c1c1c1" into the field "text color" (translated from my German DW) and clicked "enter". After that DW opened this window (see screenshot):

drColor.jpg

Now you can "jump" across the color field or use the slide switches on the right, where you always can see the color and the referred color values in three categories (at two places).

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 12:45 PM   in reply to RichieWhite

I see two options inside DW:

1. Right-click on the hex value in the stylesheet > Code Hint Tools > Color Picker
    2. Windows > Assets, click the Colors icon button in the Assets panel for a summary list of colors and hex values used throughout the current website

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 5:28 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

Hello Richi,

I see, you cannot live with that! But you could your  "I want to click on a value and see the color ..." serve as suggestion to https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform, where you can
    "Use this form to request new features or suggest modifications to existing features."

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 9:35 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Jon's answer is the closest of all. Just one minor change, and it will work perfectly.

In the Properties pane of the CSS Designer, select the Show Set checkbox. That will eliminate the need for any scrolling. Just click inside the colour in the stylesheet, and the CSS Designer will display a colour box showing you the colour.

Another technique, but not as effective, is to open the Assets panel, and select the Colors icon. The panel displays all the colours used in the site. They're listed in numerical order.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 9:13 AM   in reply to RichieWhite

RichieWhite wrote:

I think it should say something more intuitive than "show set", whatever that means.

"Show set" means "Show properties that have been set" (in other words, ones that have values).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points