Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2014 3:04 PM   in reply to richard.boenke

Which Nikon camera?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 6:08 AM   in reply to richard.boenke

ACR supports NRW files  from the Coolpix range.

Camera
    ACR v#
    Coolpix P6000NRW4.6, 5.1
    Coolpix P7000NRW6.3
    Coolpix P7100NRW6.5
    Coolpix P7700NRW7.2
    Coolpix P7800NRW8.3
    Coolpix P330NRW7.4

With the exception of the P7800, PSE11 should be able to open all of the above. You may need to run Help> Updates though to install v7.4 of the plug-in.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 6:19 AM   in reply to richard.boenke

You'll need to download the DNG converter 8.3. This will allow you to convert the 7800 files to Adobe's DNG format (a RAW format with the specification in the public domain). You will then be able to open them in PSE11s Camera RAW plug-in.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 6:55 AM   in reply to richard.boenke

If you're feeling brave* you can try the workaround procedure listed here - http://forums.adobe.com/message/5956711#5956711.

You'll need to use ACR 8.3 RC1. I found it at http://www.freewarefiles.com/downloads_counter.php?programid=24402. ACR 8.3 final won't work with PSE11. Make sure you click the correct download link - 'Direct Download 1' to get the zip file 'cameraraw8-3cs6_r1_win_110713.zip'.

If your system can't open zip files I highly recommend the free 7-Zip (Google it) to do so.

The '1033' file the instructions refer to is in payloads\AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-051113155157\Assets1_1.zip.

* At your own risk! If any of this is incomprehensible stick with the DNG converter - that's the officially supported method and you'll need to install it anyway to get the profiles installed.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 7:25 AM   in reply to richard.boenke

If you do Help / About Plug-in how many Camera Raw plug-ins do you see, and if you click on each of them, in turn, what versions are they?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 7:39 AM   in reply to richard.boenke

If the workaround hasn't worked then I'm afraid you're stuck with using the DNG converter, or upgrading to PSE12.

But as you have Lightroom, which has the full version of Camera RAW (PSE is restricted), maybe rethinking your workflow might be the solution. And it can convert to DNG on import which will give you instant  access in PSE's Camera RAW (http://digital-photography-school.com/make-lightroom-faster-by-using-d ng)

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 3:42 PM   in reply to richard.boenke

Nikon wants to make their products better so they make new camera models every few months.  Every camera's raw format needs to be profiled by Adobe and supported specifically.  Adobe only updates their currently shipping products with new camera support. 

Adobe chooses how often to create pay-for versions of software, in the case of Elements, once a year, so they can continue to generate revenue and pay their employees.  Of course we'd like to buy something once and have it work forever without more payment but that is not realistic in the current economic model we live under. 

If you're feeling trapped by the current system, imagine when, some day, everything will be provided by the government and be "free" but you'll also be told whether you can have a camera and for what purposes, and all your photographs will be the property of the government because your camera was free and you are merely an agent of the government.  Until that time, you pay to own or lease things and have some choice how to use them. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 7:02 PM   in reply to richard.boenke

Office capital equipment legally has to be supported for 5 years after production ceases.

Interesting. First I've ever heard of that.

Do you have any links that I can read up more on it?

It's not the case in Australia that I'm aware of but I'd be curious to learn more about how it works and in which countries it applies.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 10:38 PM   in reply to richard.boenke

Another way to think about things would be:

Initial investment: $100 (full price)

Annual mantenance fee:  $80 (upgrade price)

Support will last as long as the maintenance fee is paid and upgrade versions are produced.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points