Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I set default colors for generated shapes in Premiere Pro CC?

Jan 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Tags: #pro #settings #premiere #ellipse

I'm working on some highlight video where I need to generate an ellipse on each clip to highlight a player. I'd like to use a yellow/yellow, 20% softness, 8 thickness ellipse each time, but by default PP gives me an ugly green/blue combination, and I have to change the inside/outside colors, softness and thickness each time I add a clip and generate an ellipse.

Is there a way to set a default inner/outer color, thickness, and softness setting for each new generated shape so that I don't have to keep repeating these steps?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2014 10:50 PM   in reply to Tom Culler

If you are using the Title Designer to generate your ellipse, and if I understand what you want, the answer is yes.

Unless I am completely off-base, your default font style below the title has the colors of that ugly green/blue combo.

You can easily just set the ellipse the exact way you want it, and then go into the Font Styles menu and create a new font style. Give it a unique name like "Ellipse" and then drag that new style from the end up to the beginning of the list. (Upper left hand corner).

I created an ellipse using a greenish yellow, rather unattractive color for both the shape and the stroke. I used a higher opacity because it shows up better in the screen shot, but I could have set it for 20% easily enough. I then went to the styles menu, created a new style, gave it a name, then went to the last style and dragged it up to the top left where you see it now. You have to look close.

It is not particularly obvious that the shapes are based on the font style just as much as the text is.

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 3:10 AM   in reply to Tom Culler

You can also alt and drag the shape in the timeline to the next clip.

This will give you an independend copy.

Reposition and done.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 6:56 PM   in reply to Tom Culler

Make a Transparent Video Clip.

Apply the Ellipse Effect to it ...as you wish.

Copy and paste the Transparent Video clip where ever you need it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 7:51 PM   in reply to Tom Culler

You cant change the Default behaviour of the Effect but you can save it as a preset .  That is easy.

or...

You could even turn the Transparent Video Clip into an asset in your Project Bin.

That would be more convenient and accessible than a copy / paste routine.

Make a New Sequence.>Transparent Video Clip> Apply and design your Ellipse Effect. ( Dont apply key framing)

That Sequence is now an asset just waiting to be used and key framed for purpose.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 9:26 PM   in reply to Tom Culler

Tom,

I have never even though of using the generated ellipse. I guess titles have always done the trick for me. Interesting, but I think I will stick to the way I have always done it.

But I am glad that shooternz has been able to steer you to presets.

One way to avoid the scaling issue, if you decide you prefer that route, is to apply the ellipse to the transparent video over the clip in a separate sequence and nest that sequence in your main timeline. That way any scaling would be for the combination, not just one track.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2014 9:41 PM   in reply to Tom Culler

Either  way ..I would have made them with an ellipse a lot larger that required.

Easy to scale at the time of key framing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points