Skip navigation
Emily Lee
Currently Being Moderated

The play switch failed

Jan 20, 2014 7:00 PM

The play switch has no function, cannot edit or listen to files. Used to be OK.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 21, 2014 1:22 AM   in reply to Emily Lee

You need to reconnect your sound device to Audition. Go to the Preferences section and Hardware setup, and re-establish it. This is pretty much the only reason that this ever happens....

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 5:33 AM   in reply to Emily Lee

HI,

just try to reset the prefrences.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4761844

regards

karandeep singh

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 21, 2014 5:46 AM   in reply to Karandeep

You may (or may not) have noticed that the vast majority of the information in that link came from me. So I know it's there, and if it contained the solution to this problem, I would have said so. But it doesn't. There is no point in resetting somebody's preferences and all their individual settings unnecessarily , and there's not much chance that it would re-establish playback correctly anyway.

No, the answer is as I said in the first place - a simple matter of re-establishing the correct playback device from what is hopefully listed in the hardware preferences, and not attempting to fix a load of stuff that isn't broken. The only thing that I would add is that if there isn't anything suitable listed, then strictly speaking it's stopped being an Audition problem. At that point, I would have expected all sound on the machine to have failed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2014 6:28 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Right SteveG, The information I shared was coming from your side.

The problem Emily Lee is facing could be because of the corrupt prefrences that's why I shared that.

What is actually the problem we cannot determine till the time we have all the information from the Emily Lee we are not even sure which operating system /Audition version and many more information  Emily Lee is using.

So cannot determine what is the actuall problem and its solution

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 21, 2014 7:07 AM   in reply to Karandeep

Karandeep wrote:

The problem Emily Lee is facing could be because of the corrupt prefrences that's why I shared that. What is actually the problem we cannot determine till the time we have all the information from the Emily Lee we are not even sure which operating system /Audition version and many more information  Emily Lee is using.

Not the case at all. We have this happen a lot, and invariably it's the same failure, and it's across all versions and all OS's. It even applies to Macs, for heaven's sake. If just the transport fails, it's because the sound device is disconnected; nothing else gives just that symptom.

And apart from anything else, we'd always suggest this first anyway. If anything else is wrong, you need it eliminated before you go any further. I have been doing this a long time, and I do know what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, you wouldn't need to trash all of the preferences anyway - the connection information is in MachineSpecificSettings, so that's the only one you'd need to restore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2014 6:55 AM   in reply to Karandeep

Karandeep wrote:

Right SteveG, The information I shared was coming from your side.

The problem Emily Lee is facing could be because of the corrupt prefrences that's why I shared that.

What is actually the problem we cannot determine till the time we have all the information from the Emily Lee we are not even sure which operating system /Audition version and many more information  Emily Lee is using.

Yeah, could be corrupt preferences...but this is a question we get all the time on this forum and 99% of the time it's a simple as reconnecting to the interface under Preferences/Audio Hardware. 

If that doesn't work, then it's worth looking at things like a corrupt file...but going straight to that is like going straight to amputation at the knee because somebody has a sore foot.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points