Skip navigation
Peter Littmann
Currently Being Moderated

Which license is the plugin.dll under?

Jan 21, 2014 6:00 AM

Tags: #license #plugins #redistribution

The plugin.dll is needed to access some filter plugins in .8BF format. These filters may be free and can be used in other programs like Corel PaintShop or Irfanview, too. But when the filters need this plugin the users of these filters need to find a way to get it.

Therefore I ask:

Under which license is this plugin.dll and in which way is redistribution allowed?

What is the suggested way to get it legally correct?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 10:01 AM   in reply to Peter Littmann

I'm no lawyer but I doubt you are allowed to redistribute. Check the documentation from where you got the 8BF file. Just have others download them in the same way you downloaded them. Here is some info I found on Adobe.

http://www.adobe.com/legal/licenses-terms.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 9:27 PM   in reply to Peter Littmann

Hi,

If you want to distribute free for use plug-in you have to obtain license for distribution from owner of that plug-in.

You need something like this (you would be developer)

1. LICENSE 

(a)

Rights Granted to Developer. Owner grants Developer a perpetual, non-exclusive, license and right to:   

(i)Reproduce and distribute the Software and prepare Derivative Works thereof;   

(ii) Incorporate the Software and/or Derivative Works thereof within Developer’s Products; and (iii) Market, promote, sell, license, and/or distribute copies of the Software and Derivative Works thereof as part of Developer’s Products, both directly to end users and indirectly through distributors, dealers, resellers, agents, and other third parties. 

(b)

Rights Reserved to Owner. Developer acknowledges Owner’s representation that the Software is the property of Owner and that Developer has no rights in the foregoing except those expressly granted by this Agreement. Nothing herein shall be construed as restricting Owner’s right to sell, lease on a non-exclusive basis, license, modify, publish, or otherwise distribute the Software, in whole or in part, to any other person. 

(c) No Unbundled Distribution. 

Developer shall not distribute or transfer in any way a copy of all or any part of the Software separate and apart from Developer’s Products.

This is serious stuff, so you will need a good lawyer to prepare, or read if offered by owner side license agreement.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Momir Zecevic

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points