Skip navigation
ronsacto
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 5.3 still imports duplicate files but adds a -2 or -3 into the filename

Jan 21, 2014 12:52 PM

Tags: #imports #duplicate_files

On import lightroom 5.3 still does not recognize previous imports of the same file name.  I have the "do not import suspected" checked, but LR5 does not exclude the old files. I have had this question in Forum last month, but nothing has helped. Import has Copy, New Photos and Do not import suspected duplicates checked. No problem with LR4.4 on imports

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 5:26 PM   in reply to ronsacto

I think this is a bug, although I thought it was there in Lr4.4 too (catalog dependent).

If I remember correctly, one of the things that can cause this problem is importing from catalog - doesn't update a critical field or something like that - don't quote me..

R

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 11:07 PM   in reply to ronsacto

Tell us exactly what you do so we can understand exactly what is happening please.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 11:08 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

Have you ever removed the Preference File?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 2:36 PM   in reply to ronsacto

It could be that Geoff was suggesting you try removing the preference file to see if it helps.

I don't think it will help, since I recall other cases when this problem was not improved by removing preference file - still, may be worth a shot.

I think it's a catalog thing (if my aging memory serves me correctly), so you could try exporting everything as catalog (and then open exported catalog) and see if it's any better - the problem might get "exported" too, but that's all I got (alternatively, you could create a new catalog, and import everything from your current catalog - again, the problem might get "imported" too, but may be worth a shot).

Of course, backup your original catalog before making "experimental" changes, and beware: publish service stuff isn't exported/imported.

PS - if it is a catalog thing, you may be able to glean something from inspection via sql client app, or dump as text file and search... - advanced users only......

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points