Skip navigation
George Lea
Currently Being Moderated

Changing Gain on Channels INDEPENDENTLY

Jan 22, 2014 7:57 AM

I HATE it when Adobe lets the adolescents make designing decisions.  This process used to be SO easy.  Why fix something that ain't broke.  What's more is when I try to get some help in the manual, or online I get links to everything BUT what I need.  All I want to do is adjust each side independently of the other.  PLEASE don't anyone say "It's easy, just..."  I've looked all over this app, and there's NOTHING intuitive about a task that USED to be "It's easy, just...".

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2014 8:15 AM   in reply to George Lea

Now the rant is over...!!

Perhaps you'd like to give us a few more details?  e.g. exactly what are you trying to do?  What version of Audition?

My guess is that is something to do with a stereo track which you need to rebalance?  If so, and assuming you're using at least AA CS6 (may be the same in CS5.5, can't remember) in Edit View go to Effects>Amplitude and Compression>Channel Mixer.  There you can alter the relative balance of the two channels.

If that's not the problem then, as I said, much more detail is needed!

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 22, 2014 9:47 AM   in reply to George Lea

George Lea wrote:

I HATE it when Adobe lets the adolescents make designing decisions. 

They don't with the software (it really is easy and intuitive to fix your problem, and I can think of another easy way as well), but I think I'd have to agree with you about the documentation...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 2:55 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

You may be referring to the Audition 3 default mode where you could click and drag near the top of the top waveform, or bottom of the bottom waveform, to select just that channel.  This behavior is off by default in later releases, but you can re-enable it by opening Preferences > General and checking the box labeled Allow context-sensitive channel editing.

Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 2.53.35 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 7:16 PM   in reply to _durin_

Hey Durin!  What's it like to be an adolescent again?  And what's your secret--I could use a bit of age reduction just now!?!?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 25, 2014 2:57 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

And what's your secret--I could use a bit of age reduction just now!?!?

Just record yourself and pitch-shift the results up about 10%...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 7:41 AM   in reply to George Lea

Fine George.  Just FYI, I've been using Cooledit/Audition since the days of Cooledit 96 freeware.  I'm also at an age where being called an adolescent is positively a compliment. 

However, you're taking your frustration out on the wrong people.  Most of us here are just users like you--and share your frustration with what passes for documentation and support.  Durin is an Adobe employee but from the developer side--and definitely one of the good guys.  How many other Adobe product forums get visits from the developers?  Practically none.

If my private joke with Durin and Steve offended you, sorry.  But we're the wrong people to aim your frustrations at.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 7:53 AM   in reply to George Lea

George Lea wrote:

Hey Bob, I was using this product 5 yrs before Adobe bought it, and back when the product actually had real support, instead of charging users $350 to buy it, then leaving them to fend for themselves over a forum that takes an act of Congress just to get into.  I own 5 major DAW products, and this product BY FAR has THE sorriest support of ALL of them. So, I know EXACTLY of what I speak.  In fact, you sound like more of the same adolescents that I was speaking of.

Clearly you have much experience with a variety of DAWs and no-one doubts your experience of Adobe support has been "less than ideal".  As for the product documentation, SteveG clearly agrees and I think even the developers might have some sympathy with you, but to address Bob Howes as sounding "like more of the same adolescents" is totally unwarranted, IMO. 

Unless you intended that comment as slightly "tongue-in-cheek" but your post certainly does not read in that way.

Jeff

I see Bob, quite rightly, beat me to it!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points