Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS5 has started freezing on "Preparing project for build..." in disk burn attempt

Jan 23, 2014 12:48 PM

Tags: #encore #dvd #freeze #build #encorecs5

After routinely burning DVDs with Encore CS5, the program has started freezing after I choose my settings and click "BUILD" on a window that reads, "Preparing project for build..."

I checked for solutions online and read about problems with Quicktime versions after 7.5.5.  So I uninstalled Quicktime and installed the 7.5.5 version.  Still had problem.

I reinstalled Encore.  Still had problem.

Further research suggested I install the Roxio patch

PX Engine 4.18.16a   I installed the patch.  Still had problem.

I reinstalled the latest version of Quicktime v 7.7.4  Still had problem

On my desktop computer, I'm running

• Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
  • Intel i7 CPU  930 @ 2.80Ghz 2.80Ghz
  • 24 GB RAM
  • nvidia Quadro GX 4800
  • Raid config on my data drives

Luckily, I also have Encore loaded as a part of the CS5 suite on a laptop computer, so I transfered the project files to the laptop, which burned the program without a problem.  This tells me the problem is with the program on my desktop and now with the project files.

LAPTOP:

Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit

Intel i7 CPU  2620M  @  2.70 Ghz  2.70 Ghz

4 GB RAM

nvidia NVS 4200M

I'd appreciate any suggestions about how to get my desktop to again burn DVDs in encore.

Message was edited by: Dan 101 Just realized that when I reinstalled Encore, I got a message that instructed me to shut down two processes. One was related to Encore, the other was something like dynamiclink.exe. I couldn't find any such process running when I checked the Task Manager, so I couldn't shut it down before I continued with the installation.  Could this be related to the issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2014 3:15 PM   in reply to Dan 101

Unless you are using Quicktime files as Encore source, you do not actually HAVE to have Quicktime installed

I have CS5 with NO Quicktime installed, and once I click past the warning message Encore works just fine... but I am not trying to import MOV files into Encore, only the DV AVI or MPEG2-DVD files I export out of PPro

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2014 3:43 PM   in reply to Dan 101

Curious: are you using .mov files? For timeline assets? For motion menus?

I have QT 7.7.3 installed; no issues, but I am using no quicktime files in Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 7:52 AM   in reply to Dan 101

Good luck on your detailed troubleshooting. I have attempt similar on other issues, and let's just say that Encore can do things that make no sense. And workarounds may make no sense. And things that appear to fix a problem make no sense. For example, here, Quicktime and its version can cause problems, but you've presented nothing that makes any sense of that here.

All that just to suggest you consider alternative of finding a good workaround and not trying to fix what may not be broke and/or may have no solution.

The primary workaround, that a lot of us use, is not burning in Encore. Build to a folder or image and burn with something else. ImgBurn is the hands down favorite for windows.

Should I convert the individual projects into another format (rather than H.264) to build the master project?

Premiere tries to work with native media when it can. The rule of thumb is do not convert unless you need to. It depends on your source. Then export from Premiere in a form that Encore will not re-transcode - which you appear to be doing.

Encore program routinely freezes after I burn a disk.

So I vote for not having Encore burn.

Does the Roxio PX engine have any bearing on this?

If it did, you installed the patch, so it does not now. And that should have been fixed for your version anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 10:49 AM   in reply to Dan 101

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points