Skip navigation
camds
Currently Being Moderated

Linked Smart Objects and updating across multiple files

Jan 23, 2014 4:41 PM

Tags: #linked_smart_objects

The new Linked Smart Objects feature would be incredibly helpful to me, barring one potential issue.  I have hundreds of PSDs that share similar web site elements (navigation, footer, etc).  I want to begin utilizing this feature to link these elements across all PSDs.  So if I make a change to one of the linked documents, it is not practical for me to open every PSD and manually update the linked objects (even with using the "update all" feature which only updates the open document).  What I need is a utility that batch updates ALL PSDs that link to this file.  Otherwise this feature is useless, as I am always passing files back and forth between our dev team and there is no way I can open every affected file when I make an update to a shared object.  Is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2014 6:55 PM   in reply to camds

Wait, am I to understand that the Linked Smart Objects require a manual update before the changes are loaded up? Photoshop does not automatically sense the change in placed files?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 10:19 AM   in reply to camds

That's too bad. Can't you record the update all function, create a batch, and run through all the psd files?

Btw, the Photoline betas now also include a placeholder layer that instantly updates when the user changes the externally linked file(s). If the file with the externally linked content is open while changing the file(s), Photoline automatically senses the change, and will update accordingly. No need for an update function.

I wonder if the Photoshop devs could include a similar function for their linked smart objects. It would simplify life.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points