Skip navigation
AngusKirk
Currently Being Moderated

So I have this BD-ISO that I don't have the project, and I need to convert to DVD. What to do?

Jan 23, 2014 8:06 PM

Of course, deconstruction and rebuild is an option. I'm looking for one-click solutions. Only have the ISO, project is lost.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2014 8:40 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

While there may be one, I do not know of a program that will read a BluRay ISO and create DVD assets

I think you are going to have to write a BluRay disc and then import from there to PPro and export as MPEG2-DVD to author in Encore

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 8:54 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John has the right idea. Burn to Blu-ray, then copy the video clips from Blu-ray folder to hard drive and import/edit in Premiere, have done this before and works great. Non-copyrighted material of course, like your situation.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 12:23 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

You do not need to burn to BD. Just open (right clink on) the iso with windows expolerer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 1:28 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

So what you wish to do is convert the Blu-ray .iso file to a DVD, menus and all, correct? No re-authoring?

Now I understand. Google "convert dvd to blu-ray" and all kinds of solutions come up. Some solutions are paid software, some free apps. However, it looks like they are simply "ripping" the video parts from the Blu-ray and converting and burning just the video to DVD. As the structure of Blu-ray and DVD is vastly different "under the hood", I really don't think you'll get the menus to copy/translate over to DVD.

Basically, we're back to the original suggestion to pull the video clips from the Blu-ray, encode to MPEG-2 DVD, and burn (add menus if needed).

The "one-click" solutions are going to do no more than that, just copy the VIDEO as far as I can tell from reading up on the subject.

Thanks

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 1:17 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

Premiere Pro is a video editor, not a disc authoring program like Encore

My GUESS is that if you post on the PPro forum, you will be told the same thing... you need to import the video assets and export MPEG2-DVD for authoring in Encore

>Still looking for one-click solutions

Even with original video assets in PPro, the advice I have seen is to export TWO sets of files, one for BluRay and one for DVD, since trying to scale exported BluRay assets down to DVD inside Encore does not work very well

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 1:33 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

There is no one-click solution.

rip the BD and author to dvd.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 1:46 PM   in reply to SAFEHARBOR11

As the structure of Blu-ray and DVD is vastly different "under the hood", I really don't think you'll get the menus to copy/translate over to DVD.

The search was, of course, "convert blu-ray to DVD" but I agree with your reasoning as to why this is a difficult task. It is certainly possible, but not likely to have a market. Things like popup menus don't even exist for DVD, function differently, and are constructed differently (e.g. the photoshop layer structure). So I think it is a) unlikely to exist and b) if it does, would be expensive.

This search quickly finds DVDFab's "Bluray to DVD Converter," which is only $46.10 for a 2 year subscription.

Their FAQ includes "Menu creation is not available yet in Blu-ray to DVD Converter. But it is on our to-do-list, we will add it in future version." But they are talking about making your own menu - what their product is doing is making the deconstruction/rebuild of the movie files easier.

Angus, you don't really say you need the menu(s) carried over, so a DVDFab type product may do the trick.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 5:39 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

>This particular conversion problem doesnt' looks complex

As I said back in #6 the messages I have seen in the past (2 links below) indicate that is IS complex... and to have both BluRay and DVD look good, you need to export two distinct sets of files out of PPro and do two separate Encore projects... in part because Encore does not do a good job of going from HiDef to SD... especially, I think I've read, the HiDef menus do now scale down very well

BluRay then to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/885601 -and http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1212931

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 6:27 AM   in reply to John T Smith

IS complex... and to have both BluRay and DVD look good, you need to export two distinct sets of files out of PPro and do two separate Encore projects...

There is a quality issue, but to be sure we're both on the same page, that downscaling issue is not the complexity problem. And going Bluray to DVD is probably now improved. I may have misread some of the reviews, but the DVDFab product handles that part pretty well. Just no menu support and no promise of a one click menu translation.

It is the menu navigation, and issues of "reading" a popup style menu (different PSD layer structure than regular menus) and handling the differences in BD vs DVD specifications on navigation that make this more challenging.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 12:02 PM   in reply to AngusKirk

AngusKirk wrote:

I need the menu. That's a birthday cover the client forgot to mention he didn't want a blu-ray and never watched it because she don't have the player device.

This particular conversion problem doesnt' looks complex (may be demanding, but not hard), so I also believe if there isn't already an solution buried on the internet as a minor resource anyone uses on some minor software, we'll have it soon.

Sorry but this is exactly as John says - very difficult to do.

Here's why:

1 - Menus work in a totally different way on DVD compared to Blu-Ray. DVD gets you actual menu images with overlays (one per menu) but with BD everything is a movie file (including menus) and you have one separeate image for each button state in a menu - not just one image with them all as SubPicture Highlights.

2 - Video files are very different - different resolution, different audio (not in Encore, true, but Encore's BD Audio support is garbage).

3 - The entire structure is different on BD compared to DVD.

There are commercial tools that will take a BD disc & decode it back to Scenarist BD or DoStudio but that is as far as it will ever go.

There are no one-click "solutions" that will maintain the structure & menus as it is impossible to do - sorry.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points