Skip navigation
Morgane_adobe13
Currently Being Moderated

Hyphenation for specific words

Jan 24, 2014 7:59 AM

Tags: #hyphenization #indesign_cs6 #hyphenated_word

Good morning,

Sometimes, for layout purposes, I'm required to insert hyphens on certain words in order to make the text flow better. I already use the "Blance ragged lines" option and the automatic "Hyphenate" fonction. I would like to find a command that allows me to hyphenate a certain word without having to do it manually (i.e., adding a dash after a syllable). Ideally I would select the word to hyphen and use that specific command. Is there a way to do that in Indesign?

Thanks!
Morgane

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 8:07 AM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

You can customise hyphenation points.

http://indesignsecrets.com/reveal-and-customize-hyphenation-break-poin ts.php

Also I'd limit the use of Balance Ragged Lines.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 11:03 AM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

I'd use a discretionary hyphen, myself. So, if I wanted the word "hyphenation" to break at an incorrect location (hyphe-nation) I'd use a control-shift-hyphen (Type>Insert Special Character>Hyphens and Dashes) at my desired breakpoint.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 12:06 PM   in reply to Morgane_adobe13

Following up on what Joel said, you can check whether ID agrees with you on where the hyphen should go by putting the cursor at that spot, and then hitting Edit>Spelling>Dictionary; push the Hyphenate button and ID will show you what it would do.  If I'm satisfied, I escape out and use Joel's control-shift-hyphen.

David

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 2:30 PM   in reply to David W. Goodrich

... and I truly hate Proximity hyphenation, with a ferocity I typically reserve for injustice and slavery and such, so I usually don't check. But I do exactly as David describes when using Hunspell hyphenation dictionaries.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points