Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option to select RoboHelp settings.ISF file missing in FM12

Mentor ,
Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am not sure if this query comes under FrameMaker forum or RoboHelp, but since I did not see RH Integration category in FrameMaker forums, I am posting it here. Moderators, please move it to the right forum or let me know if I have to delete it from here and post it elsewhere.

If I wanted to publish a WebHelp output from FrameMaker 11, I had an option of selecting my settings.ISF file, which had all my FM-RH styles mapped, and publishing it. But now, in FM 12, I don't see it. I have to select the CSS file and re-do the mapping all over again.

Am I missing something here? How can I feed the ISF or mapped doc to FM so that I don't have to do the mapping everytime I publish the Webhelp output from FM12?

Thank in advance.

Sreekanth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I wasn’t on the FM12 beta this year, I haven’t had time to play with the new direct “publish” features in FM12. I would think that there might be some place to suck in an .isf file if you had one before, but that may not actually be so anymore. Check the new features webinars and reviewer’s guide for clues as to how that’s going to work (i.e. direct publishing out of FM without having RH).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like there is a cold war going on between  TCS 5 product team and Documentation team. FM 12 help  in this matter leads to TCS 4 help content. It still asks me select ISF file when there is no such field.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The isf file is nothing but a zip container. You can extract the mapping .css file from that and then use the Import Styles option in the FM12 setings editor to import that  css file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can get the CSS file. But that CSS only has the styles I created in RH. The ISF file stored my FM-RH style mapping, which is lost. I have redo the mapping and save it as a STS file now.

On a related note, I noticed that RH 11 still uses ISF file for style mapping settings. However, I can't use the ISF file created in RH 10 here due to some bug. This effectively means I have recreate the ISF file all over again.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sreekanth_S - did you see Arnis's notice about the RH11 ISF import fix that was just posted? It's found here -

http://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/isf-file-getting-imported-robohelp. html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff,

The fix is for RH and won't help with importing ISF files to use with FM12's Publish component as this a self-contained subset of what RH uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arnis – yes I realized that; I should have identified that in post #4 the OP had made a TCS5 observation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff and Arnis.

I missed Arnis' post but I got a mail about the fix from Adobe as I (was one of the people who) had reported this bug. I tested this yesterday and it worked fine.

Regarding the ISF file usage in FM12, Adobe confirmed that this is not possible in FM12. As Willam mentioned, FM has its own publishing mechanism which is independent of RH now.

Adobe also confirmed that if I want the header/ footer in the WebHelp output, the only way is to import the FM book into RH as we were doing it in TCS4.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sreekanth,

That seems to be the typical trend from Adobe lately, just enough to get marketing mileage. For the users, it's sort of like thinking you've gotten a diamond, but then finding out later that it's only a cubic zirconia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well put, Arnis. I could not agree more.

In our team, I take care of creating these RH Settings file, master page, skin, etc. that is needed to publish a WebHelp output from a FM book (typical single-sourcing approach). Our team comprises of people who are new to one or both of these tools. Even though I tell them that there is minimal or no post-RH import task involved in this process, the very thought of working with multiple tools acts as a demotivator.

When I saw the WebHelp output option from FM12, I was excited that I can increase the adoption rate now. I looked at the options and even found the browse sequence here which was missing earlier. But then, when I noticed that there is no way I get my copyright info on the footer, the balloon just burst.

I am sure I am not the only TCS user who has copyright or similar criticial information like company name, author name, year of publication, etc., in the footer. So, I simply cannot understand how the powers-that-be decided that users will be ready to publish WebHelp (or for that matter any other) output without that information. If not through master page, they should have provided some other option to add this info.

Anyway, I guess we can only hope that some sense prevails in the next release atleast.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 12 has a different publishing mechanism than FM11. I'm not

sure how it works exactly, but it seems to bypass RoboHelp (at least

superficially). A post in the Frame forums can't hurt. I would try there

as well.

Kind regards,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 25, 2014 Jan 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Willam. They have "tried" to bypass RoboHelp. But it is not efficient.

On the better side, I can get the browse sequence when I publish directly from FM. On the down side, there is no provision to associate the RH master page that contains our copyright info in the footer. So, I am still figuring out that.

That also makes me think that the individual product teams in TCS might not be working together, and end up in non-synchronization of features. This has already happened with Captivate, which I feel is packaged as a free gift in TCS.

Anyway, I will post a query on FrameMaker forums as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sreekanth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp