Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to remove letter boxing?

Jan 24, 2014 4:41 PM

Tags: #premiere_pro #frames_size #frame_size #letter_boxing

I was given footage that was shot in 640x480, though the video is still in a widescreen format and has letter boxing. My boss would like to have just the video footage without the letter boxing at the top and bottom of the screen. How do I change the frame size of the clip so that only the video footage can be seen?

I am fairly new to the this and am learning by playing around with the software. I'm working with Premiere Pro.

Screen Shot 2014-01-24 at 4.38.02 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 10:04 PM   in reply to rmbennett1526

The key is to create a sequence that's 16:9. File>New>Sequence, the select DV-NTSC>Widescreen 48kHz.

SeqPreset_DV-Wide.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 11:30 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I am uncomfortable suggesting that Mark is not correct, but it feels that way to me.

If the footage was originally 640X480 with square pixels, it seems to me that creating a sequence at 640X360 might work better for that footage. Don't the DV settings lock you in to non-square pixels and certain frame sizes?

In any case, I took a screen grab of the image, then resized it in Photoshop to 640X480 since that was the original size.

I then created a 640X360 custom sequence, using square pixels like this:

Capture2.PNG

When I dropped the 640X480 image, with the letterboxing on it, on the 640X360 sequence, I got this:

Capture3.PNG

Now, it just so happens, that 640X360 is a good size for a 16:9 image. Both numbers are evenly divisible by 8 which makes for neat macro blocks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 12:40 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Interesting. So you're assuming that the footage is true 640x480 with the letterboxing actually in the source, right? I'll admit that idea didn't occur to me--I don't recall ever encountering original content with letterboxing that's effectively intrinsic to the footage.

I was assuming that the wrong pixel dimensions were reported, and that the source is actually 720x480 anamorphic.

Now I'm intrigued.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2014 9:22 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

Well, yes. Besides the fact that I am reasonably adept at guessing what users are actually asking. Most of the time, the OP stated that it was shot 640X480 so I assume a consumer camera, and a rather inexpensive one at that. Or an older cell phone, or whatever. Or maybe footage from a long time back that was edited incorrectly? Too late now.

Also, we spend so much time on this forum telling people to create their sequence from the clips themselves, that if the OP did that, then my guess pretty much has to be accurate or the sequence would have probably been correct. No?

If the OP comes back, we'll find out.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 9:32 AM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I don't recall ever encountering original content with letterboxing that's effectively intrinsic to the footage.

Occasionally, I have come across stock clips

that have the letterbox burned in the 4x3 frame:

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-26572-stock-footage-duck-by-pekin g.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points