Skip navigation
OC Photoworx
Currently Being Moderated

Can I data-merge with different masters?

Jan 25, 2014 9:31 AM

Tags: #indesign #merge

I have a project that has three different page layouts and the choice of layout is data dependent.

Conceptually what I want is for the 10th field in my data record to tell InDesign which master page to use before merging the data from that record.

Can such a thing be done with the standard data-merge facility?  Is there an affordable (<$100) third-party solution?  Could this be done with a script?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2014 10:15 AM   in reply to OC Photoworx

I haven't looked at third-party solutions much and so the only product I am aware of that can apply different masters during a merge would be InData by Em Software. I suspect there are others too. However, I am uncertain it would actually work in your stated work-flow. And it is outside of your target price.

http://emsoftware.com/products/emdata/

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 8:42 PM   in reply to OC Photoworx

Hi,

I dont know whether what i understood is correct, but what you can do is convert that data record into three different records based on your requirement and then apply each data record to the corresponding layout. Separation into three files can be done with any suitable programming language. In case you dont know that, provide me your data file and i will try my best to provide you with 3 different files.

Thanks-

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 8:35 AM   in reply to OC Photoworx

I have used different ID files for different layouts manually before. Page start numbers need to adjusted in each file. But combining them in Acrobat isn't a big deal.

And I suppose one could use the book feature, though I prefer not to. As well, once merged one can make a master document and place the resultant ID files in it. If I recall, I did this once. And if I recall, I needed to import the masters into it first. But my memory is hazy on that. It was when first introduced (CS3 I think).

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 5:21 PM   in reply to OC Photoworx

Well, beyond a commercial plug-in, it will simply be manual work no matter how you do the merge, I think. My use of separate merges are basically different sections within the eventually combined file (whether combined in ID or Acrobat) which change, but they are in reading order.

What are the master page elements? From what little I can understand you are changing master pages within logical sections. The only solution apart from manual labor is the above plug-in (I think). Without knowing what it is about the layout changes (master pages), that's all I can contribute. Sorry.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 2:42 AM   in reply to OC Photoworx

Conceptually what I want is for the 10th field in my data record to tell InDesign which master page to use before merging the data from that record.

Triggering a master using data merge... no, at least not from InDesign only. VDP software such as XMPie (i pick this because I have used the trial version) can do this, BUT it doesn't fulfil the next requirement of being <$100, and I don't think you will find ANY VDP solution for that.

Instead, I would suggest an alternative. Rather than triggering a master page, I would suggest making a frame in the background of the page that uses a data-merge image field, so if you are changing letterheads mid-stream based on the data in the job, this will work. The catch is, there's no way indesign's data merge will trigger this by itself based on the data in the file. Instead, the data would have to include an additional field that reflects the relevant page background, and if using an excel spreadsheet to make the data, would require some creative if/else statements.

So it is possible. It slows down the processing of the file tremendously, and I'm not sure how many records are being merged.

So far as is it scriptable? Yes, most things are scriptable in InDesign. Is someone going to volunteer to prepare such a custom-script for nothing... unlikely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 8:52 AM   in reply to OC Photoworx

Yep, after seeing your diagram of the pages, I understood the page by page thing. I was just writing about what I typically see when I need to use different masters.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points