Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CC Mac OS X slow like a tortoise

Jan 26, 2014 6:42 AM

Tags: #dreamweaver #slow

Hi

I'm on a high end Mac Pro early 2008 full of RAM under Mac OS X 10.8.5. Don't know why Dreamweaver CC is so slow to open a file. Anytime get the multicolor circle and need 10 to 20 seconds to open any file. Dreamweaver is useless in my case and nothing fix this problem. Delete cache, restart, re-configuration of everything. Install updates. Nothing works. Dreamweaver CC is tortoise. Any idea?

Thanks.

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2014 12:45 PM   in reply to Tom Adobe

Is this happening with all sites & all files or just a few?

Is this happening with a new, blank document?

If not, I'm guessing you have references to external JavaScripts that are slowing you down.  Try commenting them out to see if this improves performance.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 6:01 AM   in reply to Tom Adobe

Hi Tom,

Can you confirm if you have the latest CC update installed on  your computer? If you do not, can you install the latest update and see if it helps?

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 1:00 AM   in reply to Tom Adobe

@TOM Adobe -

1. Can you please confirm if you are on the 13.2.0.6466 Build

1. We have seen similar performance issues and are actively working on it . Can you please share the files with me at vharis(at)adobe(dot)com (Change the obvious to obvious!!) so that we can make sure that we fix this too 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 11:07 AM   in reply to Tom Adobe

Hi Tom,

As a temporary work around, disable CSS to see if this improves performance.

View > Style Rendering > Disable Styles.  This will allow you to work with un-styled pages in Design View.  But it won't effect either Live View or Preview in Browsers.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 12:17 PM   in reply to Tom Adobe

Hi Tom,

Am asking around. Let me see if I can get some answers for you in the time that the experts here try to solve it for you.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 12:28 PM   in reply to Tom Adobe

For what it's worth Tom, I work with big sites, too.  But I rarely use @import CSS.  I have yet to see any real benefit to them.  I much prefer direct links to external styles and have no performance problems with this workflow.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 10:28 PM   in reply to Tom Adobe

@TOM Adobe - Thank you for reporting this to us . We have an internal issue logged and will investigate it .

I will kep you updated on this

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 5:28 AM   in reply to Tom Adobe

I got the same problemz here I think.. I'm currently working on a campaign monitor email template.. (loads of evil tables included) and switching to design mode takes about 30 seconds to a minute

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 9:24 PM   in reply to Tom Adobe

@ Tom , It is very unfortunate that DW freezes on working with such files . We are looking at this issue on priority and I will update you once we have a fix for this issue

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 12:19 PM   in reply to vharis

Any updates on this? I'm having this same problem on a macpro 1,1 running 10.7.5. I've tried all the above fixes and then some with absolutely no success. Dreamweaver runs so slowly it's unusable. Activity monitor reports it as not responding constantly and trying to do a folder-wide find/replace took at least 20 minutes!

Thanks,
    Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2014 1:42 AM   in reply to vharis

Please let me know when you have a solution to this issue as well.  I have had this issue with Dreamweaver ever since Mavericks and the Dreamweaver update. 

I do NOT use @import code (don't use bootstrap)

With a recent update my pages seem to load faster... but all I have to do is click around on various images on my page within Dreamweaver... and I'm not "changing" anyhting... just randomly clicking images placed on a page... and within a couple clicks Dreamweaver has become so slow to "follow" my random clicks that it starts moving my images around -- in other words, it reaches a point where it's recognized the down-click but not the up-click of the mouse and is therefore 'moving' images rather than just selecting the different images. 

By the way -- the "Properties" update in Dreamweaver has ALWAYS been horrific.  If I'm updating links to a bunch of images I sometimes have to click an image three times to get the "Properties" tab to actually update.  This is not a new problem... been around for as long as I was forced to ditch GoLive.

Back to the issue at hand... I have a page that has "SpryMenuBar.js" and "AC_RunActiveContent.js" and "SpryMenuHorizontal.css".  That's pretty much it (except for inline css).  My page contains a LOT of tables --- and a good number of tables nested in tables.  There are also about 27 iFrames on the page (all pulling in clocks or countdown timers). 

When I go from "Design" to "Split" or "Code" mode... there is only a 10-15 second wait.  If, however, I'm unfortunate to have to change even one character of code and switch back to "Design" view.... I'm lucky if I only have to wait 20 seconds for Dreamweaver to become responsive again.  The beach ball of death spins and spins and the "tool tip" for the cursor (which is a beach ball) flickers and flickers until Dreamweaver finally becomes responsive again -- almost as if Dreamweaver is re-reading the entire code and re-rendering the entire page extremely slowly each and every time I enter/exit code view. 

If I'm in "Code" view I can make any changes I want... and there are no problems, no lags, no slowdowns.  The beach ball of death only happens when I go back to "Design" view.

If, however, I'm in "Split" view... then I will get the Beach Ball of death after every confirmed change I make to the code.

When I'm only in "Design" view... I can pretty much leave my computer and go make a pot of coffee if I have the misfortune of having to copy and then paste a selected table, just as one example.  Even the most minor of updates seem to cause problems.  While in "Design" view only, I can click on an image... change the link for it... go to another image, change the link for it... but when I hit the third image... Beach Ball of Death.  This doesn't always happen on the third image... sometimes it's the 4th or the 2nd or whatever... I'm just saying that it's not 100% of the time with every action I take.

I have duplicated the page, deleted the Javascript and CSS reference items and saved the page, quit Dreamweaver and relaunched to see if it was the Javascript or CSS causing the issues.  At first I thought there was huge speed improvements, so I thought it might have been one of those SprymenuBar widgets that was in a previous version of Dreamweaver causing the problem... but after a little bit of copy/paste work the slow-downs and Beach Ball of Death soon appeared once again.

Ever since updating to Mavericks this performance issue has been obvious with Dreamweaver CC (latest build Version 13.2 Build 6466).  This problem is also obvious in Dreamweaver 6.

My current solution is to use Dreamweaver 5.5.  It's a good thing I've been a loyal Adobe customer for as long as Adobe as been aquiring software -- and I still have all my old software.  I would ditch any hopes of ever using Dreamweaver CC again, and still be perfectly happy, if it weren't for a few bugs in Dreamweaver 5.5 (such as the pick-whip going in the opposite direction of the screen when I try to pick-whip something from my "Files" tab, like when assigning a link to a graphic).  Tiny oddities like that may make Dreamweaver 5.5 a bit of a pain to use for any real work... but for simply copy/paste and corrections on existing pages -- it operates at the speed I wish Dreamweaver CC could.  Well... aside from the fact that the "Properties" tab has NEVER been able to update in real-time in any version of Dreamweaver... everything else works at the expected and desired speed.

So -- Dreamweaver 5.5 works.  Dreamweaver 6 and Dreamweaver CC make me want to take up an art class or watch daytime television to kill the time I have to wait in-between clicks and code corrections and copy/pastes... waiting for that Beach Ball of Death to stop spinning.

By the way... when these "Beach Ball of Death" situations happen... the Activity Monitor shows Dreamweaver and WindowServer hitting some pretty high CPU loads for an extended period of time. 

Please keep us posted if you find a solution.  I've tried just about everything people have suggested on other threads and other boards... I've uninstalled Dreamweaver, reinstalled Dreamweaver... uninstalled Air and reinstalled Air... I've disabled all sorts of options like code assists and displaying external files and a bunch of other things... with no change at all in how Dreamweaver CC reacts.

I would really like to see a solution to this issue quickly, as it's been many months now.  I've had no other problems with any of the other CC applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2014 4:20 AM   in reply to davidlgood

Have seen exactly what you are talking about.

In these forums there are many similar issues with different symptoms in different scenarios but it all boils down to the fact that since Maverick DWCC is now a tortoise .

You can ask me to delete and reset new preferences, quit and restart, remove js files and all the other standard type responses but at the end of the day I now drink  a lot more coffee while waiting for DW to do stuff  in a long time that used to be done as a matter of course.. I thank god every day that illustrator has not gone the same way.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2014 2:59 AM   in reply to davidlgood

Hi David,

We are internally aware of a bunch of performance issues & slowness in DW on Mac 10.9.x

We already had several connect sessions with users and observed the issue first-hand.

Hopefully, all this will be addressed in the next subsequent update. Rest assured, we are working diligently towards fixing them.

-Deep

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2014 7:01 PM   in reply to subhadeep_banerjee

Hi!

I have the same problem since a couple of weeks on my Mac Pro 12 cores 32 gig ram !?! I have disable the "Display styles"... a little better but still slow compare to the first version DW CC. Some times i have to switch to work in Coda or  Edge Code.

Very time consuming the actual DW !!!

I'm waiting for this bug fix with my arm open...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2014 6:35 AM   in reply to Tom Adobe

full windows pc mac computer even less problematic issues in

http://bilimnettasarim.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 5:46 PM   in reply to Novoweb

How long must customers wait for an update? We are now forced to pay every month to use a product that never should have been released because it is unusable on a Mac. I've got a six-core Mac Pro running at 3.33 GHz with 48 GB of RAM and Dreamweaver is completely unusable. Scrolling is dreadful, typing even one word causes DW to churn. Trying to type a sentence takes tens of seconds.

Hello, Adobe, you take our money and treat us like slaves.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 9:31 PM   in reply to rubydick

@ rubydick,

Drop me a mail at subbaner@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 9:33 PM   in reply to rubydick

I am with you on this one! Can't use it for about 2+ months now! Force to use Coda and it's slowing me down on my jobs!

Hey Dreamweaver team? YouHou!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2014 6:37 AM   in reply to Novoweb

Hi Novoweb,

A number of Mavericks related bugs are being prioritized and in the pipeline to be fixed for the next update.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2014 2:41 PM   in reply to Preran

Hi Peran,

Appreciate this but when is the next update????

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2014 7:11 PM   in reply to Tropical Soul

Yesterday I had a session with Adobe support (Subhadeep) where they verified that scrolling and typing stuttering make Dreamweaver unusable and it is not related to preference corruption. For users who must use DW (me, unfortunately), I discovered that the problem was somewhat diminished by resizing the DW window to make it smaller. But the problem is there in all screen sizes.

At some point Adobe is going to have to recognize that many of their software packages have turned into bloatware. Rather than spending their time figuring out how to permanently tap into users' pocketbooks, they need to get back to producing good software at good prices. The record over the last decade is not promising. Adobe purchases Framemaker, then kills it on the Mac. Adobe purchases Macromedia, then kills Freehand, a product that hands' down trounces Illustrator. Illustrator's user interface is so bad that that it makes me want to go back to pen and paper. Then there is the constant shifting of menu and submenu commands. Just when you learn where something can be found, Adobe moves it.

And the latest subscription-only debacle, which displays utter disdain for the needs of their customers. For more on the latter, see Thom Hogan's take: "The Fine Print in Adobe's Creative Cloud." When someone like that stands up to say it is wrong, Adobe would do well to listen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2014 12:17 AM   in reply to Preran

A idea of when the update will be here would be good. These issues have been around way to long.

I'm trying to finish a simple 1 page list of size charts for a client and have only managed to edit 3 tables in 4hrs!

My hourly rate is $88 so I think Adobe owes me at least the next 6 months of CC at no charge.

S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2014 5:24 AM   in reply to Stephen Franklin

Hi all,

A number of bugs related to Mavericks have been prioritized for the next update. When the release date is announced by the company, we will post on this forum as well.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points