Skip navigation
kseppings
Currently Being Moderated

Publishing problem

Jan 26, 2014 4:29 PM

Tags: #error #adobe #elements #11 #problems #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_11 #elements_11 #problem_publish

I’ve been trying to publish a movie I have made on Adobe Premiere Elements 11 but it doesn’t have the sound with it. The movie is 1 hour and 13 minutes. I have tried publishing it on a DVD but it said transcoding error.
When I tried publishing it on my computer it stopped on 27% but continued on the estimated time until it got to 5 seconds when it stopped.

I checked in the folder I was saving it to but the file was empty. There was a file above it titled ‘5236_5620_8198039’ with the size being 900,324 KB. I opened it and there it but there was no sound attached. There was also another file, type AC3 Audio (the others two are Movie Clip files) but it was unable to open.

What should I do? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2014 4:42 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

First thing...inspect that Timeline. Do you have a stop marker at the end of the last item of the Timeline content? If so, remove that stop marker. It is not needed and causes project failures.

How many menu markers do you have on the Timeline content and is there enough space between them?

What are you doing...a burn to folder -  Folder (4.7 GB)?

It sounds like you may have done burn to disc as well as burn to folder with the same incomplete result.

If so, when you are in the burn dialog and just before you hit Burn, what does the burn dialog Quality Area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Next will probably include the project preset of the project, properties of the source media, editing in the program, as well as computer environment considerations.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 7:16 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that you do not see a Space Required and Bitrate along with "Fit Content to Available Space" in the burn dialog? Please check out the bottom of the following screenshot where it says

Space Required 33.00 MB Bitrate 8.00 Mbps in the example.

srbr.JPG

In your specific burn dialog, do you see that area? If so, what values are shown?

The above screenshot is the burn dialog ready for a burn to disc. If I switched to

burn to folder - Folder (4.7 GB), that bottom row with Space Required and Bitrate (with check mark)

would still be showing the same values.

Besides the above information, let us focus on

1. Project preset that you or the project is setting for this project. If you do not know, then let us know what is shown for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General (grayed out or not).

2. What are the properties of the major component of the Timeline?

Video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio?

3. How are your Scratch Disks set up...to where are they directed and how much free space is at that hard drive save location?

4. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer being used?

5. Are you running the program Run As Administrator and from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

6. Have you checked your Timeline for irregularies in transitions placement and gaps and leftover/fragment scattered about the tracks. To check that make sure you have the Timeline at max expansion with the -+ slider above the Timeline.

Please check out the above.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 9:07 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Thanks for replies and follow up.

It worries me that you are not seeing basic features in the burn dialog. So, let us clear that away. Typically I start my replies with what version of Premiere Elements is the user working with and on what computer operating system is it running on. But, looking back I overlooked confirming with you what computer operating system your Premiere Elements 11 is running on. I have been assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Could you be working on a Mac?

You wrote

Scratch Disks set up:
    Where are they directed? - folder on the desktop

How much free space at Hard Drive save location? - 11.2 GB

Unless there has been a misunderstanding between what I asked and your answer, you cannot work 11.2 GB free hard drive space. Think 500 GB and up?

You wrote

I don't understand where to go when you ask if I'm running the program Run As Administratio and from a User Account with Asministrative Privileges.

Thinking Windows, Premiere Elements needs to be run as Run As Administrator and/or from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. You can right click the desktop icon for the program and select Run As Administrator. Then you need to go to the Control Panel/User Accounts and see if you are running the computer from a User Account that has Administrative Privileges.

If you turn out to be a Mac users, you also need to look into the permissions. I do not have a Mac computer so we will need help from the Mac users on that.

You wrote

I don't know what you mean exactely or where to check my timeline for for irregularities in transitions placement and gaps and leftover/fragment scattered about the tracks.

In the Expert workspace, you should see a -+ slider above the Timeline. I believe you can also use the \ key to expand the Timeline to the max to inspect its content closer. The leftovers to which I referred are fragments of Timeline files that were generated moving files around, deleting files, etc. They present as very thin vertical black lines scattered about the track contents. You need to look for them and delete them.

Lots to discuss. But right now I am worried about the 11.2 GB free hard drive space to which the Scratch Disks are directed and you not finding basic features of the burn dialog.

Please review the above. Do not hesitate to let me know if I have misinterpreted any of your information. I will clarify or re-write anything written that you do not understand.

I will check for further developments first thing in the morning.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2014 10:05 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseepings

The problem with Premiere Elements 12 on Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit or Windows XP 32 bit is that the program is then a 32 bit application with the limitations of 32 bit system, for example, maximum supported RAM = 4 GB of which typically 3.0 to 3.2 GB or less of that are available.

Right now I think that your choice is that Windows XP 32 bit if it has 4 GB RAM installed besides the 796 GB of free hard drive space.

Those leftovers are hard to delete. What works for me is to expand the Timeline maximally with the -+ slider and then aim right on one of the black lines, right click it, and select delete or clear (whichever command is offered by your Premiere Elements version).

More in the morning.

Thanks for checking out the troubleshooting suggestions.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 8:36 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Sorry about that. I thought that you were using version 12. My oversight since you did write previously version 11. Nonetheless, the situation is exactly the same for 11 and 12.

If you want to move the project file that you created in Windows XP, the best way to do that is, in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows XP, use File Menu/Project Archiver/Copy option for saving your project. In this kind of save, the project file (project.prel) and the media that went into the project will be saved to a "Copied Folder" on the place that you designate on the computer hard drive.

Then you transfer that whole "Copied Folder" to USB Flash drive and onto the other computer via its USB port.

Then go to the opened Copied Folder on the second computer, right click the project.prel and select Open with Premiere Elements 11 which you had already installed on this other computer with more resources.

Please let me know if you are OK with the steps.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7dcb.html

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2014 9:38 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

No. Same principle. The only thing that may mess things up is if the computer does not have enough resources to save the Copied Folder generated by the Project Archiver/Copy option.

You are going from Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows XP 32 bit. Is that correct?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 7:22 AM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Thanks for the good news. Good job in transfer.

While you are still in the editing phase, you do not have to render the Timeline content UNLESS you want the best possible preview of what you are seeing in the Edit Mode monitor. Even if it looks good  without this render, there is no guarantee it would look good if you took the time to do the Timeline render. The TImeline rendering is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later. It is especially helpful for transitions, effects, titles, and non native formats. Remember, Timeline rendering is not going to improve the quality of your export. It is a preview thing and, as such, is an indicator of what you have.

As for 32 or 64 bit....this is going to translate into a computer resource matter and whether or not Premiere Elements is running as a 32 bit or 64 bit application in the 32 bit or 64 bit computer system.

With Windows, Premiere Elements 11 is a 64 bit application only when it is run specifically in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit system. Please check out the Microsoft article with its FAQs on the subject.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1 TC=windows-7

Please let us know the outcome. If what you are seeing in the Edit Mode monitor looks good without Timeline rendering, you could try your luck and continue on, bypassing the preview opportunity.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 7:55 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

I would go with AVCHD.mp4

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the preset = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Give that a try for better quality.

If you want the MPEG2 HD.mpg

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with the preset = HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

NTSC and PAL do not apply to HD as they do to SD but the frame rates are still of regional importance. Classically 29.97/30 for NTSC area and 25 for PAL area.

Am I overlooking why you prefer the MPEG2 over the H.264 choice?

Sounds like good progress. Thanks for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 8:19 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

The AVCHD video compression is typically suggested for it better quality.

Lots of articles online. Just one

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=69770.0

representative of the bottom line suggestion...compare each in your computer environment and then decides what works for you.

We will be interested in what you decide from a mini test run MPEG2 HD versus AVCHD video compression.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 9:03 AM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Premiere Elements 11

At last report, you are now working on Windows XP 32 bit which has more hard drive space than your other computer, Windows Vista 32 bit.

The saved file will not appear in the destination location until after you have seen a message from the program that the export was completed successfully.

As a point of reference, please try again, exporting your Timeline content to a MPEG2 HD.mpg.

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with the preset = HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality

Before you hit Save in the export dialog, what does it show for estimated file size and also the duration. Please see File Size and Duration at bottom of the export dialog

Does that work?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2014 10:12 PM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Thanks for the update.

My impression is that you are at the limits of your computer resources.

What happens if you divide the project in half and then do the export? It is easier going from the point of view of export and then playback of the file on the computer?

You could leave the project.prel intact. Just make a copy of the original to work from.

File Menu/Save A Copy (give it a new name).

How much free hard drive space was at the save location of the export after the export was completed?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 9:34 AM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

In the name of troubleshooting and the resource aspects of your situation, I was suggesting the following

1. Given you have your current project file (project.prel) with all the issues and observations

2. With the current project.prel file open, go to File Menu/Save A Copy and do just that. Save it to a hard drive location and give it a name such as Project Part 1. Then again File Menu/Save A Copy and do just that. Save it to the same hard drive location but give it the name such as Project Part 2. Save and close out of the current project.prel.

3. Go to the hard drive save location, find "Project Part 1" project.prel, right click it and select Open With Premiere Elements 11 (your program).

4. Select and delete the last half of the Timeline content. Then work with the project to export and then decide if the the reduced Timeline content led to a smoother workflow from edit to export.

Have you been there and done that? If not, perhaps we can determine at which point the Timeline content is "too much" for the computer resources. The idea is to rule in or out factors that are contributing to the observations and issues you present with the whole project which is safe as you work with the copies of it for troubleshooting purposes only now.

Please let me know if you are OK with the suggestions or if you need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 7:14 AM   in reply to kseppings

When you write:

It played fine until 10 mins, 18 secs into the film and then it froze, made a jittery sound and shut down my computer.

Did the computer reboot, or totally freeze? If so, that is a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) situation, whether you see the blue screen, or not. That is a serious issue, and I strongly suggest that you address that, before any additional troubleshooting. A BSOD incident is usually a hardware issue in the computer, or perhaps a low-level driver issue with the OS. This article gives you most of the possible causes, and also links to tools, that can help troubleshoot a BSOD: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3465303#3465303

Good luck, and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask here.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 7:19 AM   in reply to kseppings

What presets out of NTSC_Dolby DVD, NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD, PAL_Dolby DVD or PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD should I choose?

IIRC, you are starting with HD material, and are in PAL land, so you would choose the PAL_Widescreen_DVD, or the _Dolby DVD. The former will include the Audio as PCM/WAV, with slightly better fidelity, but the Dolby will allow for either a little bit more Video, or a higher Bit-Rate (if necessary) for slightly better Video quality. Personally, unless I was doing a promo for my music, I would opt for the Dolby DVD, giving me the PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If my memory is incorrect, please let me know where you are (PAL, or NTSC), and whether you have Widescreen material, or not.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 8:20 AM   in reply to kseppings

kseppings

Referring back to your post 27 addressed to me

Earlier in your thread, I wrote

NTSC and PAL do not apply to HD as they do to SD but the frame rates are still of regional importance. Classically 29.97/30 for NTSC area and 25 for PAL area.

Based on the settings that we have been discussing as the thread progressed (including frame rate 29.97 frames per second), I assumed that you were working in a program set for NTSC. If that is the case and your have a HD project preset and HD Timeline content, then you choice for

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

would be NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

If instead you are in a PAL set up, the

PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

http://ihffilm.com/videostandard.html

What here is a consideration that goes to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

If your Timeline HD content contains interlaced video (probably with scan order of Top Field First), you may have to right click it, select Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance since the DVD-VIDEO to be produced with be interlaced video with scan order of Bottom Field First).

If you need clarification on that point, please remind me of the properties of the video on your Timeline (interlaced or progressive) and I will supply more information.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points