Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

tab stops: Ooops. Nevermind.

Jan 28, 2014 1:46 PM

Folks, I'd delete this post if I could, but can't figure out how to do it.

I did figure out how to modify the tab stops. 

I selected the entire text.

moved the tab.

Seems to have worked.

Below is the original question.

I've spent about an hour on this and can't figure it out.

I've reviewed the online tutorials, but nothing works in my real life with cc as it does in the tutorials.

I've got a document with a tab at the start of every paragraph. I can see it when I view invisibles.

Unfortunately, the tabs do not take up enough spaces.

Now I could try to do a search and replace with aTWO tab stops, which would work, but I'd much rather just set the one tab stop to be over at the quarter inch mark. (I do have about 200 pages of text)

When I click in the tab thingy and select the tab image in the document and use the magnet, I can set that specific tab where I want it, but all the others remain at  24th of an inch in. (or so). In the image below I can grab that tab and move it, but it doesn't affect any other tabs in the document.

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 1.35.12 PM.png

Is there any way to change the global settings on the initial tab stop?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2014 1:50 PM   in reply to straightlife

Instead of tabs use Fisrt Line Indent for your text paragaraph style. it's easy and fast and when change the paragraph style setting it reflected on all text that apply the paragraph.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 2:10 PM   in reply to straightlife

The search is pretty easy. Use the GREP tab and search for ^\t+ and replace with nothing. That finds one or more tabs at the start of a paragraph.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,135 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2014 3:15 PM   in reply to straightlife

Here's an example of (one of many) problems that using tabs as indents can cause, so Peter's grep find and replace is worth doing.

The column on the left uses tab indents but looks like it has one paragraph because I forgot to add a tab and you can't see where the 2nd paragraph starts. The column on the right always indents consistently because the indent is part of the style:

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 6.08.11 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 3:36 PM   in reply to straightlife

Searching for just \t will find every tab in your text. That's not what you want. you want only tabs at the start of a paragraph. For that you use ^\t+

The ^ (hold shift and press the 6 key) is the start of paragraph position marker, the \t is a tab, and the + after it says match one or more in a row.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 6:17 PM   in reply to straightlife

The reason you may not have had success with Peter's Find/Replace string is because of not selecting the GREP tab in the Find/Replace box. GREP F/R strings are different than the first tab in the F/R dialog.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2014 11:41 PM   in reply to MW Design

Yeah, I get the not found thing all the time and it usally takes me a couple of minutes to look at which tab in Find/Change is active. Someday I'll learn to check that first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points