Skip navigation
Arjenvde
Currently Being Moderated

Artist Rainer Tautenhahn visualizes sounds with Audition?

Jan 30, 2014 2:19 PM

Hi,

A German artist creates art with sound...

On his Youtube clip you can see him at work. At marker 1.40m you see him at work on a laptop, it looks like Adobe...

Does anyone recognize the GUI he uses? I am looking for a visualizer which will show harmonic details of the human voice.

I would love to receive some advice from Audition users on diff visualizing modes. Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

Arjen vd EerenbeemtRainer.png

Youtube clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=64JMPA5z3Fc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2014 3:22 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

You can show the harmonic detail of any sound, including the human voice, using the Spectral view in Audition.

ScreenHunter_17 Jan. 30 23.22.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 30, 2014 3:31 PM   in reply to ryclark

Yeah, but that's not the same as the stuff Tautenhahn's doing!

Yes he's using Audition as an editor, but as far as I can ascertain, he's using something bespoke for creating the visuals. One thing that might yield some promising results (and is free) is Sonic Visualiser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 3:45 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

Those shots look very much like Audition 3's Spectral Phase Display. 

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 30, 2014 3:48 PM   in reply to _durin_

Oh yes! I'd forgotten about that!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 3:57 PM   in reply to _durin_

A quick sample:

Phase Display.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 8:27 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

That GUI has hidden VIEW TABS, so most likely it's version AU 1.5, all versions after, have lost this option.

However, those final images looks like WAVELAB/PHOTOSHOP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 9:38 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

au1.5a.jpgau1.5b.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2014 10:03 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

that would be MONO file, Number 3 view from Wavelab 6.....if my memory is still working well......after that it would be lots of Zoom and Photoshop....if you search google Wavelab Images, you might get lucky

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 31, 2014 2:38 AM   in reply to nahravka

nahravka wrote:

that would be MONO file, Number 3 view from Wavelab 6.....if my memory is still working well......

Well it might be, but now that Durin has reminded me, I recall that both Audition 2 & 3  can do very similar displays. It's not an option in the current version though - you really do need either 2 or 3. To give you some sort of an idea, I did a quick one from Audition 2, which happens to be on this machine...

Audition2screengrab.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 9:58 AM   in reply to Arjenvde

| Do you know what the pixel dims are on the image files AU can put out? What is the learning curve on creating the rainer type imgs?

Audition will render the view as large as you can make the panel.  If you open Window > Spectral Controls  you'll be able to choose the FFT Resolution (higher values will give more detailed results, but take longer to process) as well as adjust the colors, thresholds, and some other parameters affecting the view.  As there's no method to export the display directly to a file, you can take a screenshot.  You may also want to go to Edit > Preferences > Display and turn off the grid and other on-UI controls to ensure you just have a clear image with no other objects.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 31, 2014 10:17 AM   in reply to _durin_

_durin_ wrote:

You may also want to go to Edit > Preferences > Display and turn off the grid and other on-UI controls to ensure you just have a clear image with no other objects.

If you look closely, you'll see that indeed, I failed to do that!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 12:02 PM   in reply to _durin_

Ooo.  This one is pretty.  This is too much fun.  I remember doing some prints of famous riffs when we were testing this feature.  Kashmir looked incredible.

SpecPhase2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 31, 2014 1:07 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

Arjenvde wrote:

Given that he outputs into large format he has to either use RIP (raster imaging processing software) to prevent pixelization and/or expand pixel dims and blur..?

Very likely. But that software's relatively straightforward - I think that even I can do it with something I've got here. But since it's got to be a screen-grab to start with, then ideally it has to start from the largest display available anyway, so it won't necessarily work too well on this laptop. I'll run the image that I posted through it and see what it looks like. Probably won't post it though as it will end up huge.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jan 31, 2014 2:28 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

It works a treat - even with the image as posted, you get get pixel smoothing to work fine, and give very high-res results. I suppose you'll be wanting to know what I used now...

PhotoZoom. I used version 4, although it's 5 they are selling now. This software is amazingly good at what it does!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 6:55 PM   in reply to Arjenvde

maybe this will get you there, after playing with AU 3.......image-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 9, 2014 2:43 AM   in reply to nahravka

Yes we know that - that bit's easy. But if you want to print the images at any sort of decent size, you need to get rid of the jaggies, and that you simply can't do with Audition. Hence the PhotoZoom link.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:19 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

image-3.jpg

maybe there is a way to get it done without PhotoZoom, there is simply too many options how to play with GAMA, SATURATION, zoom in verticaly on dB scale and if image is saved in TIFF format (not JPEG), final image can go to GIANT size......

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 9, 2014 9:36 AM   in reply to nahravka

nahravka wrote:

maybe there is a way to get it done without PhotoZoom, there is simply too many options how to play with GAMA, SATURATION, zoom in verticaly on dB scale and if image is saved in TIFF format (not JPEG), final image can go to GIANT size......

If you get it from a screen grab, which you must, then you are limited by the screen resolution, and it makes no difference what format you save it in (although an uncompressed one like a bitmap would be best). And that's why, if you want to print it larger, you have to get rid of the jaggies. And that's what PhotoZoom enables you to do. And if you want to make large prints, this is an absolute neccessity - they look terrible otherwise.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 12, 2014 2:23 AM   in reply to Arjenvde

Photozoom yes, but not fotozoom - I presume that this is an alternative. With photozoom it's easy; get the largest screen-grab you can, crop it and save it (preferrably as a bitmap, not a jpeg). When you open this in photozoom, it then performs a stunningly good interpolation at whatever resolution you want it to be - and you can alter the final 1:1 print size dimensions too. Save the result, and you're done. If I get a chance, I'll do a before and after on one bit of the image above, so you can see what it achieves.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points