Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Open CS5 documents in InDesign CC

Jan 31, 2014 12:29 PM

Tags: #cs5 #server #indesign #scripting #cc #open_old

When opening InDesign CS5 files in InDesign CC it is opening up as "converted" and forcing us to "Save As". Is there an easy way to forcibly overwrite the document instead of save as?

We're having the same problem with InDesign server scripts failing because if ID server CC opens a CS5 file it will not forcibly save as CC and will throw an error.

This is a problem for us because we need do not want our users manually going in and trying to find the right path to save their documents as they're all stored on a network share.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 31, 2014 1:16 PM   in reply to jeremiah-swanson

Simply try saving with the same name. It will effectively over-write your file as you want. The "[converted]" I find this to be a courtesy to let you know at a glance that you're working on an older version document. As far as the path issue, I can't answer that, as I use a third party program which, with a single keystroke, takes me to the original folder the files resides in. It's called Default Folder, and I've found it indispensable since 1999. Try it, you'll love it. It's from St. Claire Software.

Cheers!

-Mikey

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 3:47 PM   in reply to jeremiah-swanson

A word to the wise is DON'T overwrite the older version. It's your only backup when things go bad. Direct conversion of lagacy files usually works, but sometimes it ends in disaster after hours, or even days of editing. Export the original from it's original program to .idml and open that for conversion inthe new version, then save with a new name.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 8:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

is there no other way around this? I am having the same issue. Normally save as... keeps the file path, but when its a converted file the path is not kept, so i have to search the server for the original file. Ordinarly this is only a minor issue, but when working with thousands of files this can be a little bit of a pain. (and theres no way i am exporting 20,000 idml files lol)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points