Skip navigation
jkettles27
Currently Being Moderated

Sharing Projects

Feb 1, 2014 9:48 AM

Tags: #xmp #metadata

So I had the director/producing of a project make some quick rough cuts to accelerate my effects and editing work. I have all the footage on my side and I FTPed the project and linked everything fine. The problem is, I think the metadata that defines subclips is embeded in the actual media files. I get the bin of cuts he made, but the clips when dragged to the timeline come in whole instead of cut. I think the solution, avoiding having to send 40GB of .mov files would be the have the .xmp sidecar, but the .mov format gets the data embedded by default. How can I transfer this metadata over so the cuts are intact the way the producer intended?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 1, 2014 10:35 AM   in reply to jkettles27

The only data I know of stored with the actual media are clip markers.  Everything else is stored in the project file.

So...what precisely do you mean the "clips come in whole instead of cut"?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 10:46 AM   in reply to jkettles27

Don't set In and Outs in the Media Browser.  Import the entire clip, set In/Out in the Source Monitor, then send the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 11:00 AM   in reply to jkettles27

I may still be missing something.  So here's the steps you take in sequence.  Don't skip any, or add any.

1. Create a new empty project.

2. In the Project panel, create a new bin called "media", "clips", or whatever is appropriate.

3. Open that bin.

4. Go to the Media Browser and import all of the media.

5. Wait for conforming to finish.

6. Open a clip in the Source Monitor.

7. Set your In and Out points there.

8. Repeat step 6 and 7 as needed.

9. Save and close project.

10. Send project file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 2:05 PM   in reply to jkettles27

Dragging only creates a copy.  Instead, right click and select Make Subclip...

Only add that step when there is more than one segment you want to mark in the original.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 4:51 AM   in reply to jkettles27

If you're adding the clips to the sequence, bypass the subclips entirely and just add the good sections from each clip to the sequence.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points