So I had the director/producing of a project make some quick rough cuts to accelerate my effects and editing work. I have all the footage on my side and I FTPed the project and linked everything fine. The problem is, I think the metadata that defines subclips is embeded in the actual media files. I get the bin of cuts he made, but the clips when dragged to the timeline come in whole instead of cut. I think the solution, avoiding having to send 40GB of .mov files would be the have the .xmp sidecar, but the .mov format gets the data embedded by default. How can I transfer this metadata over so the cuts are intact the way the producer intended?
So I set in and out points and drag just the video to a bin. When I send just the project over the web and relink the media, the clips I made drag in with all the audio, the video in and out points are still there sort of, but it's hard because the video and audio for a cut I made drags in and I have to do a bunch of ripple deleting to get to editing.
That's what I'm saying, in and outs made in the source monitor don't make it. I drag the video from the source monitor to make the clips, but on the other computer it doesn't respect the cuts. Like I said, I think it's because metadata about the cuts is store in the media itself. I noticed this with Prelude as well. If you open a prelude project on another machine all your hard worked subclips are gone, unless the media format is using sidecar xmp. My question is how can extract just that data from movs so I don't have to send 40GB of media over the web.
I may still be missing something. So here's the steps you take in sequence. Don't skip any, or add any.
1. Create a new empty project.
2. In the Project panel, create a new bin called "media", "clips", or whatever is appropriate.
3. Open that bin.
4. Go to the Media Browser and import all of the media.
5. Wait for conforming to finish.
6. Open a clip in the Source Monitor.
7. Set your In and Out points there.
8. Repeat step 6 and 7 as needed.
9. Save and close project.
10. Send project file.
There is one more step I do in that sequence. After step 7 I drag into a cuts bin, using the little video or audio icon on the source monitor the in and out point I made to create a sub clip. Then I may or may not take another in and out point from the source clip. It depends on how many useful shots there are. I then save the project and send it. On the other side the subclips are wrong.
Image one is the computer I set the subclips up on, as you can see the subclips are perfect, just video and just the specific cuts I made. The second image show what happens when you transfer the project over to another computer. It doesn't recongnize the cuts correctly. I'd have to alt-drag the audio, do a delete, and then ripple delete the video back in line. It's an annoyance.