Skip navigation
betterthings89
Currently Being Moderated

Redoing a project from PRE8 in PRE12

Feb 2, 2014 8:36 AM

Tags: #size #video #elements #render #premier #elements_8 #12

I created a project in Premier Elements 8.  I used (imported) AVCHD videos in it.  However PRE8 doesn't really handle that format.  So it rendered it in a much smaller picture size.  I recently purchased PRE12 which handles that format perfectly.  However when I open the project I created from PRE8, it still has the video in that smaller size.  How can I get it to the full scale size without redoing the project from scratch??

Please help.comp.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2014 8:59 AM   in reply to betterthings89

betterthings89

What is the project preset of the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project (when you created it originally)?

When your Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project opens in 12, what are the readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and pixel aspect ratio (whether or not the field is grayed out)?

Let us start there and then plan our troubleshooting strategy accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 12:08 PM   in reply to betterthings89

betterthings89

By the book, you cannot change project settings (at least the ones you need here) after the project preset has been set.

But I have found that such is possible by editing the Notepad document of the saved closed project.prel involved.

The general principle involved is found in one of my blog posts

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings- without.html

After you read through the blog details, if you are interested, I will post details specific to NTSC DV Standard to NTSC AVCHD HD 1080i30. But I cannot guarantee what that is going to look like going from 4:3 to 16:9 when it hits the Timeline.

We will await your further comments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 1:26 PM   in reply to betterthings89

betterthings89

Thanks for the reply.

Based on your details you would probably be better off redoing the project in Premiere Elements 12.

You could give the blog post how to details a try. Step by step is not too bad. But, I am not sure why you would save that Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project as NTSC DV Standard 4:3 instead of NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9 if you were dealing with the original AVCHD 16:9 source.

If you want, I will try to do what you did in 8.0/8.0.1 and see what I get in 12 after applying my blog post approach. Do you want me to do that or are you already into redoing the project in 12? If you want me to look at this in a mini test run, then I could let you know the results and you can decide what you want to do based on those.

Please let me know your decision.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 2:50 PM   in reply to betterthings89

betterthings89

I am in the middle of the mini test run and should have the results within the next few hours or sooner.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 6:29 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

betterthings89

After the mini test run, my advice is to go with the redoing of the project in Premiere Elements 12.

After all was done, the end result was a message that the project appeared to be damaged and could not be opened in Premiere Elements 12...same result for version 11.

I could give it another try, but at this point and with your unfamiliarity with the editing of the project.prel's Notepad document, I think that you would get the redoing of the project in Premiere Elements 12 done quicker and better.

I will think about this some more and give you my final verdict on this technique as it applies to your situation in an hour or so or tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points