Skip navigation
Claude J
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 11 Organizer automatic update

Feb 2, 2014 12:40 PM

Has anyone out there had a problem with the PSE 11 Organizer starting an automatic update when you open the program?  This happens even when I have just minimized the screen and left the Organizer open.  Yesterday it remained in the update status for more than six hours during which time PSE 11 was frozen and I couldn't do anything in it.  I finally had to terminate the program with the task manager, shut down my computer and start all over again.  I'm beginning to get annoyed and would really appreciate hearing from someone with Photoshop. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2014 6:32 PM   in reply to Claude J

Claude J wrote:

Has anyone out there had a problem with the PSE 11 Organizer starting an automatic update when you open the program?  This happens even when I have just minimized the screen and left the Organizer open.  Yesterday it remained in the update status for more than six hours during which time PSE 11 was frozen and I couldn't do anything in it.  I finally had to terminate the program with the task manager, shut down my computer and start all over again.  I'm beginning to get annoyed and would really appreciate hearing from someone with Photoshop. 

You will find that most people here are likely to have Photoshop Elements of some ve3rsion;  this aside, if you are on a windows system, then you should be running as "Standard User" not as Administrator or a user with administrator privileges.  this way Adobe updater cannot update your system without prompting you to login as Administrator.

Also, if I can remember correctly, Adobe Updater has a small checkbox that you need to tick to make sure Adobe notifies you of update before downloading anything automatically.  I can't produce this now because I don't have any update outstanding but if I find a way to replicate this I'll post back.

For now make sure you work as Standard User in a windows system so that you are protected not only from Adobe updates but also from Microsoft updates and from hackers and scammers who all like to install their small piece of software without your knowledge.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2014 9:08 AM   in reply to Claude J

Please post a screenshot of what you’re seeing, then.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2014 9:10 AM   in reply to Claude J

The updating will relate to the watch folder which you can switch off.

Click the Windows Start button and type the following into the search box

services.msc

Then press return

Disable Active File Monitoring (click image below)

N.B this will stop the automatic updates from the watch folder; so you will need to ensure when saving new files that you also add them to Organizer.

ActiveFileMonitor.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points