Skip navigation
Beckmania
Currently Being Moderated

Anchor points and paths not displaying!

Feb 2, 2014 2:14 PM

When I create a new shape, the anchor points and path are not visible. How do I make them appear? I don't see them at all in any shape I create....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2014 2:35 PM   in reply to Beckmania

Which application?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 4:30 PM   in reply to Beckmania

Product usage questions are best answered in the appropriate product forums.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2014 5:36 PM   in reply to Beckmania

Thanks Nancy.

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the Photoshop forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 12:40 AM   in reply to Beckmania

What version of photoshop and operating system are you using?

Do you have Shape set in the tool options bar?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 2, 2014 7:36 PM   in reply to Beckmania

Which tool are you using the Path Section tool, the direction tool or the pen tool to work on your shape layers's  path?

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 2, 2014 8:09 PM   in reply to JJMack

I suspect you are looking only at the Shapes workpath.  Open the Paths panel and select the path with the same name as the Shape layer.  The the Direct selection tool (a) and drag across the path. 

If you want to edit the shape, then this can be a tiny bit clunky, and people new to it tend to find themselves moving the entire path.  You can swap beteen the Selection tool (which is black) and Direct Selection tool (which is white) with the Ctrl (Cmd) key. 

To move a single point, make sure you have the Direct Selection tool active (the white one) > Click outside of the Shape, and then drag across the point/corner etc. that you want to move.

Paths are a lot of fun to work with but there are a few little tips and tricks to get you up to speed, so please ask.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 3, 2014 11:10 AM   in reply to Beckmania

Beckmania wrote:

Hi JJMAck,

The problem isn't with selecting a path or anchor point, but rather seeing them at all. I watched a tutorial video, where the user chose the rectangle shape tool, created a rectangle, and the path and anchor points of the rectangle were visible. When I create a rectangle, no path or anchor points are displayed.....

Any thoughts on that situation?

Thanks!!

John

What you saw in the tutorials is how newer versions of Photoshop work older Photoshop versions do not display the points and the way shape layer are depicted in the layers palette is also different.

What version of Photoshop are you using?

Capture.jpg

While CS6 is close to CC it does not show the points and there may even be differences between the PC and Mac versions of Photoshop.

Capture.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points