Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

bridge CC will not open

Feb 3, 2014 12:55 PM

Tags: #message #cc ##error ##bridge

Please help.  I have purchased a new macbook pro, anf have already purchased the adobe photoshop and lightroom package.  I have downloaded installed apps from creative cloud and both are working.  But although I have installed Bridge CC, it will not open.  I try to open it from the laumchpad and get the error message 'the operation could not be completed'.  i dont understand why and i am getting extremely frustrated.  Please help

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2014 1:34 PM   in reply to ceepank

Reset preferences.  Hold down Option key and start Bridge.  You will get a reset window.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 5:35 PM   in reply to ceepank

What does this mean "this is not working it opens preferences but then crashes"?  Did you or did you not get a reset window with 3 options?

If it truly crashes, and not a hang, we need a crash report.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 10:32 AM   in reply to Curt Y

tried both ctrl key an the alt key - reset window didn't pop-up..

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 11:49 AM   in reply to ceepank

Same problem here on a new MBP with Mavericks.  The error continues after reseting the preferences.  Have also tried manually deleted the cache and repaired disk permissions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 11:55 AM   in reply to motionnoise

Simillar problem here, when I try to open the Bridge I get this message "Error the operation could not be completed"

Please Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 1:48 PM   in reply to borekzbema

I'm having the same issue.  I just purchased a MacBook Pro with OS 10.9.1 installed.  Here is a screen shot of the error:

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 4.41.22 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 4:50 PM   in reply to alifestudio

I have the same issue here. Does Adobe awares this issue or not?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 6:08 PM   in reply to ceepank

Ok, so I finally got it to work!  After a lot of research I started to think this was a permission issue.  I changed user file permissions, but nothing happened.  I finally got it to work after I created a new mac user and gave the new user admin permissions when I created it.  I hope this makes sense and helps everyone!  Bottomline:

Log out of your current user

Click "create new user" on the OS login screen

Create the new user and make sure it has Administrator permissions

Once you login with your new user account Bridge should work!  It's a wierd fix, but it's better than nothing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 5, 2014 3:13 AM   in reply to alifestudio

Once you login with your new user account Bridge should work!  It's a wierd fix, but it's better than nothing.

Bridge has always been a critical application. To prevent as much trouble as possible you should use maintenance before and after install of the application. First run Apple Disk Utility with Check and repair permissions then install Bridge. (In common a good way to use on all install procedures)

A third party application like Cocktail also can be of great help because it runs repairs on a daily base.

Before 10.7 you had an OS install disk with the option of an archive and install. Since 10.7 they don't provide disks anymore but an OS install comes with the repair disk option. Google for best answers to create your own USB install disk with the repair option.

In basic, both archive and install and the repair disk create a new user Library, often solving those problems, while leaving the user account untouched. But before doing so make sure you have a proper Back Up.

Creating a new user account is also creating a new user library (by default hidden per OSX 10.7) so hence the same result.

If this is an Adobe problem I'm not very sure of, many succeed in install without problems. Every user has different stuff installed, some times resulting in conflicts. Also no maintenance, especially when using many applications, can cause problems that are hardly to be foreseen by anyone.

It is a computer and that is still a complicated machine, although we like to think otherwise :-)...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 4:41 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I have Mavericks and downloaded PS + LR offer on CC. Everything worked including Bridge. I then reinstlled OSX just because I wanted a clean install. When I downloaded CC, PS, LR + Bridge again, all worked except Bridge. I have done most things to rectify without luck so I think it is something to do with the very latest release of Mavericks (not Mavericks itself) but the very latest release.

I'm guessing Adobe know of it by now as I tried a support chat with brief description of problem when entering chat but nobody answered or started a session (even though it said Advisor available).

Anyway, I'm about to start another chat support and if I have any luck I'll update.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 6:33 AM   in reply to cymro

UPDATE: Been with chat tech support for 30 mins - no resolve on my account but Bridge opens on test user account - waiting to start a new chat to continue case as I has to restart. I'm still waiting. Basically they changed permissions for all users of Adobe folders to read and write but this didn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 7:26 AM   in reply to cymro

UPDATE: Adobe says it's an Apple issue as software works with a test account...

Oh gosh... here we go :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 7:35 AM   in reply to ceepank

I was on the phone with Adobe yesterday for over an hour and they did the samething with changing permissions.  Since I created a new user account, I've just decided to keep both accounts (just incase deleting my old one would screw something up) and only use the new one.  I find it a little annoying I have to do this, but in the sceme of things, it's not a huge deal.  I didn't think it was worth my time calling Apple to have them fix whatever Mavericks is screwing up.  I really hate when Apple makes an OS update and software doesn't work.  I wouldn't own Mavericks if it wasn't already preinstalled.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 10:18 AM   in reply to alifestudio

Ok, 6 hours later it's a fix for me!

Not sure if it'll work for you but it was quite simple.

Open Finder > (go) Computer > Macintosh HD (for me) > Users > Click once on the Home icon (main admin) > Get Info >

click on lock and authorise bottom right > click on cog wheel drop down > click on 'Apply to enclosed items' > OK

Close info window and try to open bridge

Did it work??????

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 10:25 AM   in reply to cymro

Thanks, It works.

Thank you again!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 1:37 PM   in reply to cymro

Cymro, it just so happened that I was experiencing this today on my new iMac, and I was becoming so frustrated — I followed your instruction below and it worked!! Thank you so much. Greatly appreciated!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 2:16 PM   in reply to ceepank

Ceepank, I followed Cymro's instructions without having to create a new user profile and it worked like a charm!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 2:28 PM   in reply to cymro

Not being a mac person not sure what you are doing with this fix.  Is it strictly a permission issue?  Bridge files were locked?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 2:44 PM   in reply to cymro

Great fix cymro!  Thank you!  I'm new to this forum and the creative suite, and it's fantastic to see how quickly this got solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 1:29 PM   in reply to ceepank

Same issue here. Macbook Pro, Mavericks OS X 10.9.1 - Bridge CC do not start!

reinstalled severel times.

Skærmbillede 2014-02-06 kl. 22.21.28.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 8:37 AM   in reply to Michael Belvad

Is cymro's solution safe? When I hit "apply to enlosed items" I get an ominous warning message. What exactly are we doing and how will it affect our computers? Maybe we should wait for Adobe/Apple to sort it out....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 11:38 AM   in reply to Bopjo

Hi Bopjo,

Adobe Tech Support will try the same but only try and fix by changing permissions on Adobe folders. Apple Tech support will actually suggest the same as me by changing permissions on the user folder that contains the adobe folders.

Your user account is safe as hopefully you have set up a password to log in.

I was also in discussion with Jeffrey Tranberry, Senior Product Manager of Adobe Digital Imaging on Twitter and he has reviewd my solution on this thread and did'nt voice any concern and told me that Adobe tech support should have known how to solve this.

I Hope that reassures you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2014 3:57 PM   in reply to cymro

Had Bridge CC launch issue on new iMac OS X 10.9 installing CC first time today.

The permissions fix worked. Thx cymro!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 6:26 PM   in reply to cymro

Thanks cymro.  I recently had my hard drive replaced on my 2009 Macbook Pro and reinstalled CC.  Bridge was the only application I couldn't open and your fix did the trick. Many thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 10:44 AM   in reply to cymro

Yes!

Thanks a lot for the tip!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 10:51 AM   in reply to cymro

Cymro,

I am a brand new mac user. I have OSX, 10.9.1 on a Macbook Pro. I do not see Home icon. I have 2 user accounts and a Shared folder ... so I'm not sure which one to select to go to the Get info step. But I have this exact problem and am feeling very lost without Bridge and wanting to resolve this situation in the worst way. Can you guide me, please?

Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 11:20 AM   in reply to conniewagner

Hi Connie,

What I meant by 'home' icon is that the icon itself should look like a house. You should select the main admin 'home' icon with your name under it (assuming you are the main admin user)

Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 11:55 AM   in reply to cymro

I created this power point on Slideshare based on cymro's (post 16) fix.  I spent a good part of my Sunday trying to fix it until I read this forum. I hope it helps.

http://www.slideshare.net/KrishnaJackson/fix-for-adobe-bridge-cc-fail- to-launch-on-mac-systems?utm_source=slideshow&utm_medium=ssemail&utm_c ampaign=post_upload

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,999 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 10, 2014 12:22 PM   in reply to krishnajackson

Nice work, thanks for sharing!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 1:05 PM   in reply to cymro

Yes! Thank you - I knew I was probably asking something very obvious, but I'll get the hang of everything soon! I just followed your steps and it worked perfectly. Happy camper!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 1:06 PM   in reply to krishnajackson

Thank you Krishna - very reassuring to a newbie!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 6:28 PM   in reply to cymro

Thanks cymro!  After searching for over an hour, yours was a simple solution that worked! 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 4:10 AM   in reply to ceepank

Thanks cymro! I lost hours searching and talking on the phone with Adobe and Apple. Adobe said it's an Apple problem and Apple said it is an Adobe problem!! Both of them could not give me a solution. I had to search myself on the web and found this discussion. This is an Adobe forum!! So Adobe should have know the answer to my problem!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 6:24 PM   in reply to cymro

Thanks cymro it worked great work thanks again

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 1:38 AM   in reply to krishnajackson

As a brand new Mac, let alone Mavericks user, I don't think I could have got there without this, thanks! I did stall at the final step.......until I realised I needed to click the padlock on the very bottom right and enter my computer password, before I could give final permission. But once I had, job done!! Thank you all

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)