• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a grunge texture to text in InDesign CS5.

Participant ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I would like to know the best way to add a grunge texture in InDesign. Here is an example I did using Pathfinder/Extract:

texture.jpg

There is however at least two problems to this technique:

1. I have to convert my text into outlines;
  2. Seems like the Pathfinder "merges" both shapes together forever... If was in Illustrator, I would have used the Clipping Mask or the Opacity Mask. That would allow me to move my texture as needed in the future.

I tried using the Paste Into method, but this technique ALSO seems to have at least two problems:

1. I have to convert my text into outlines;
  2. Doing Paste Into keeps the color of my texture. The problem is, I need the "holes" to be transparent, not black!

Am I missing something? Is there ways to do this with Effects?

Thanks!

Chris.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a task you should perform in Illustrator (there you need not to make outlines from text) or in Photoshop. Then you can place that AI or PSD or PDF file into InDesign.

InDesign is not so good in creating textured text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

krissserz

Try this, while in Indesign import background as a grey scale jpeg.

Using both the (white/black arrows) ‘selection tool’ and ‘direct selection tool’ and clicking on the background graphic and selecting a colour for either foreground or background colour, you will have to alternate between both of the selections tools to get the desired colour you need.

TREX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks! It works! But I still have to outline my text, though. No?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder in this case where you want editable text and transparency if setting the text in Photoshop and placing is the way to go. So in Photoshop set the text with a textured mask like this:

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 3.14.45 PM.png

Then place in ID—all you have to do is Option-Doubleclick the text to edit in PS:

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 3.13.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try this: http://colecandoo.wordpress.com/2012/11/04/live-text-masking-in-indesign/

This adds a texture while keeping the text live. Unfortunately it involves tricks with masking that make it difficult to put the text just anywhere, so designs really have to be thought ahead of time before using this method.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks cdflash!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines