Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Clipping mask issue

Feb 4, 2014 10:34 AM

Tags: #problem #mac #cc #illustratorcc_clipping

I have a series of circles that I wish to clip with a shape on the layer above.  All of the circles and joined lines are all joined paths, and can be clipped using a simple square shape.  But when the shape becomes more complex they won't clip, and the layers dissappear.  When checked the complex shape is also a good joined path and filled shape.   See images below: A Square works, but not the next shape.  The next shape produces no clipping and basically deletes the contents of both layers.  Why? 

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 12.27.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-04 at 12.28.39 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-04 at 12.29.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-04 at 12.29.29 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2014 10:51 AM   in reply to pixelpounder

Select the four sickles and go to Object > Compound Path > Make.

Then make the clipping mask.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 11:11 AM   in reply to pixelpounder

The second is a compound path… much more complex. Have you tried a transparency mask? I don't know if you run into similar problems.

Another question: Could the circle pattern be designed as an effect, instead of actuall lines? I wonder if this would simplify the file and allow the compound mask to work?

Perhaps you are doing this already, but if you assign a "Transform" effect to one circle, you can create the pattern you have. Then it can be changed easily.

Screenshot 2014-02-04 13.11.09.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 11:01 AM   in reply to pixelpounder

pixelpounder,

If you have a case with overlapping top shapes, you may need Pathfinder>Unite rather than Object>Compound Path>Make, or a combination, but you can also just Group the paths, overlapping or not, and use Transparency flyout>Make Opacity Mask with both Clip and Inverted ticked (you can use that in the present case, too)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points