I am losing objects when I export to pdf from InDesign. Even if I make a simple file with one object, if it is over a certain size it will not export? This has just started recently, it also happens in Illustrator. I am using a mac.
Version of InDesign? Have you updated to the latest update? Computer platform?
What PDF preset are you using to export? What application are you viewing the PDF in? What kind of objects are you losing?
Using InDesing CS6 / yes it is up to date / Mac OS X 10.7.5
Exporting to print screen pdf (nothing different then what I ever do) / viewing in Adobe Acrobat Professional XI / losing a simple box with color
I tested this in a file with nothing else except a box adn it converted if small but if close to the size of the page it did not show up. Tried on both the master page and a regular page.
This is happening in both InDesign and Illsutrator and has just begun recently. I have restarted my computer and done a MacKeeper cleanup and will try again.
What do you mean by a "print screen PDF"?
The correct way to make a PDF is to choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print), and choose a preset. For example, you could choose the High Quality Print preset.
Don't mean to sound rude but I have been doing this for 30 years and this is just happening now. I save pdfs at least thirty times a day so it is not that I am saving them incorrectly.
I go File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) OR Adobe PDF (Interactive)
Currently this happens in either a print pdf or an interactive pdf.
OK, I'm just establishing that you're using the normal procedure. Your terminology was not what I was expecting. Please don't be offended.
What's happening to you is definitely not normal, it sounds like a serious problem with your hardware or your software.
It's unusual that it's happening in both InDesign and Illustrator.
Have you tried restoring preferences for those two applications? Here's how in InDesign:
The keyboard shortcut for restoring Illustrator preferences is Cmd + Option + Shift.
If that doesn't work, you may have to consider uninstalling and reinstalling those applications unless someone else can suggest another option.
Thanks so much, will attack those preferences but will do it tomorrow.
I think there is something else wrong here, this is not a normal error. Maybe that is why it so frustrating? Will report back tomorrow adn thanks again.
SO where I am now...
I reinstalled all of my Adobe software, yes all. I even scrubbed my computer of all of my Adobe programs with their scrubber.
Problem still exists.
I moved the source InDesign file to my laptop, opened it and re-exported the page as a print pdf. I then opened it in Acrobat Pro on the laptop. It was fine.
I then moved that file to my DropBox and then my desktop, opened it in Acrobat Pro and the it was not fine. The missing box was still missing.
Can I assume therefore that the problem lies in the Adobe Acrobat software?
I then shut down my desktop and restarted in Safe Mode. Opened the file in Acrobat and the box was still missing.
Therefore can I assume it is not an extension conflict?
Any ideas as to what to do next?
I should also mention that dear Adobe had me in tears when it came to uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat Pro! I am a Creative Cloud (CC) member and CC was not recognizing the fact that I had uninstalled the software therefore I could not reinstall. It took me some time and much frustration to find the "scrubber" software, which did solve the problem, but really should it be so difficult?
You mentioned . . . I have restarted my computer and done a MacKeeper cleanup and will try again.
MacKeeper is garbage, it is well known to cause many, many problems. It deleted what it thinks are unnecesary files, but in reality it often deletes required files that are needed for things to run correctly.
Get rid of MacKeeper entirely. (you may have to reinstall certain software to restore vital files that were deleted)
I know you just reinstalled your Adobe software, but as long as MacKeeper is still running on your machine you are skating on thin ice!
THANK YOU ALL!!
Final steps :
Uninstalled Acrobat Pro XI once again.
Ran Adobe Creative Cloud cleaner and cleaned up for Acrobat Pro XI.
Re-installed Acrobat Pro XI once again.
And it works!! I can see everything in the pdf.
Bon voyage, I am off and running.