Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

lost objects when exporting to pdf

Feb 4, 2014 10:50 AM

I am losing objects when I export to pdf from InDesign. Even if I make a simple file with one object, if it is over a certain size it will not export? This has just started recently, it also happens in Illustrator. I am using a mac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2014 11:06 AM   in reply to KathyRK

Version of InDesign? Have you updated to the latest update? Computer platform?

What PDF preset are you using to export? What application are you viewing the PDF in? What kind of objects are you losing?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 11:53 AM   in reply to KathyRK

What do you mean by a "print screen PDF"?

The correct way to make a PDF is to choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print), and choose a preset. For example, you could choose the High Quality Print preset.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 12:22 PM   in reply to KathyRK

OK, I'm just establishing that you're using the normal procedure. Your terminology was not what I was expecting. Please don't be offended.

What's happening to you is definitely not normal, it sounds like a serious problem with your hardware or your software.

It's unusual that it's happening in both InDesign and Illustrator.

Have you tried restoring preferences for those two applications? Here's how in InDesign:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

The keyboard shortcut for restoring Illustrator preferences is Cmd + Option + Shift.

If that doesn't work, you may have to consider uninstalling and reinstalling those applications unless someone else can suggest another option.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 12:47 PM   in reply to KathyRK

You might also want to test starting the Mac with extensions disabled to rule out some software conflict, and working in a new user accoount to see if it's user related or application related.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 7:19 AM   in reply to KathyRK

You mentioned . . . I have restarted my computer and done a MacKeeper cleanup and will try again.

MacKeeper is garbage, it is well known to cause many, many  problems. It deleted what it thinks are unnecesary files, but in reality it often deletes required files that are needed for things to run correctly.

Get rid of MacKeeper entirely. (you may have to reinstall certain software to restore vital files that were deleted)

I know you just reinstalled your Adobe software, but as long as MacKeeper is still running on your machine you are skating on thin ice!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 7:23 AM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

Seems to me we've seen other reports about problems with MacKeeper, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 9:44 AM   in reply to KathyRK

Congratulations!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers