Skip navigation
btelsh
Currently Being Moderated

How would I make something in a mirror or reflection clearer?

Feb 4, 2014 3:40 PM

Tags: #photoshop #mirror #reflection

Say I had a picture of me (a selfie, perhaps) and then a reflection of myself in a mirror adjacent to me. The mirror image would be blurrier and of less quality. Is there a way in Photoshop to make the mirror image clearer, similar to the actual image of myself? I know there is an actual mirror effect that I could do, but I want to do it in this order to retain the mirror aspect in the reflection of myself (clear, but still able to tell its a mirror, if that makes sense).

Thank you ahead of time

Edit: I have both Photoshop elements 12 and CS6

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,921 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2014 4:51 PM   in reply to btelsh

That's a trap so many people fall into.  The focal distance to the reflected face is the distance from camera to mirror, plus the distance from mirror to face.  The focal distance to the back of the head, is going to be much less, and depth of field is going to come into play.  Especially as mirrors tend to be indoors where large apertures are often involved.

If I couldn't cover it with depth of field, I would cheat and take it twice and focus stack.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2014 7:00 PM   in reply to btelsh

Not sure there is much you can do with that.  I sounds like the mirror was at an angle, and that causes a double reflection as the image reflects off the silver backing then the surface of the glass of the mirror. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points