Skip navigation
CreweOnTheSofa
Currently Being Moderated

Missing Visuals in video clips (Adobe Premiere Elements 10)

Feb 4, 2014 3:56 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #video #bug #premiere_elements_10 #no_visuals

When I load up my video editting program (Adobe Premiere Elements 10) everything appears fine.
It's only when i try to load a video into the program that things go buggy.

The Video Clip appears on the timeline. The Audio works perfectly fine. However, the video, or image for that matter doesn't appear in the "viewing screen" (can't think of the right word

If I add a video effect to the clip (for example, Auto Color) then the picture becomes visible.

But, when I then render the clip, the picture disappears once again.

I'm no expert with computers or programs so i am pretty lost on what's wrong.

The last time I used the program (which was about a week before New Years Eve, 2013)  it was working perfectly fine. I've used the program for the past year with little to no problems, so I am baffelled as to why this has happened now.

Any kind of help would be really appreseated

I even still have the original disc I bought when i first installed the program, so if i need to uninstall then reinstall the program it will be eailly done..

Thanks in advanse for you help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 4, 2014 4:21 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe

The first thing that you need to do is to find out what video card your computer is using? If NVIDIA, then that plus Premiere Elements 10 may be the answer.

There is an epidemic of display issues targeted specifically at the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card users. The fix is to roll back the video card driver version (sometimes as far back as January 2013) until one is reached where the problem is gone.

Please check out the following thread if this factor applies to you.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

If the above does not apply to you, then troubleshooting will follow, needing information such as

1. Project Preset

2. Properties of Source Media

3. Classical questions such as

a. latest version of QuickTIme installed on computer with Premiere Elements

b. running program as Run As Administrator and from User Account with Administrative Privileges

c. latest version of video card driver installed, latest in accord with information from web site of manufacturer of the video card

4. Computer description, including installed and available RAM and free hard drive space

5. More

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 5:15 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe

The terms video card and graphics card are often used interchangeably so I try to cover that with video card/graphic card.

Good news is that your computer is not using a NVIDIA video card.

Have you gone to the Intel web site to assure that you have the latest driver version for your Intel HD Graphics 4000? Please see if something like this would help.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

If you have an up to date driver for the Intel HD Graphics 4000, then we could try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file. After it is deleted and the program opened, a new BadDrivers.txt file is generated and hopefully the display problem is gone. The path to the BadDrivers.txt file in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 10.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

If we rule out all of the above then on to path B (not yet formuated).

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...before we go off the above topic, assuming the above does not help, you could try rolling back the driver and see if that has any impact on the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 8:39 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe

We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance whenever you have the time. So never an inconvenience.

What was the format of the files that seem to have improved characteristics after the BadDrivers.txt file deletion? And what were the formats of those that did not? Maybe we can get a clue from that information.

One way for the roll back of the driver would be via the Device Manager/Display Adapters/ name of your card/and then the Driver tab's Roll Back Driver. You can reverse you decision later if necessary.

Another way is Device Manager/Display Adapter/ name of your card/ and then Driver tab's Update Driver.

Under Update Driver, select Browse my computer for driver software

and then

Let me pick.....

But before all that, let us discuss what improved and what did not improve media-wise after the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 6:48 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe,

Quick question please: were ALL of the MOV files transferred to the computer in the same exact way, or did other programs figure into their provenance? For instance, did some involve other programs, such as iMovie, or another application? I noticed that the one that did work was a "bak," or Backup, where the one that did not work, did not have that post-pend, "bak."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:02 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe,

Thank you for that info. When I saw the differences between the files that worked, and those that did not, it made me curious.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:31 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

Crewe

Thanks for the follow ups.

I looked through your thread for a certain point of information and could not find it. So, let me ask...

When you go to Device Manager/Display Adapters/, do you see anything listed there besides the Intel Graphics?

Are you saying that you are having problems importing jpeg files? If so, what are their pixel dimensions and have any of them been edited in Photoshop, especially with regard to color profile such as CYMK?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 7:56 PM   in reply to CreweOnTheSofa

CreweOnTheSofa

Along with the Intel Graphics there is something called "NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M"

nothing more then that.

That is probably at the core of your problems, and we need to explore this. My take on this is that you have 2 things going on here.

1. There is an epidematic of display problems targeted specifically at the Premiere Elements 10 user whose computer uses a NIVIDIA video card. (You have Premiere Elements 10 and one of your video cards is NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M.)

Typically the drill is to have the version of the video card driver up to date. In this case, the fix is to roll back the driver version far enough not to have the display problem. Neither NVIDIA nor Adobe has not stepped forward to correct the situation.

Check out the following link to see what you are up against regarding the NVIDIA side of things.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675

2. On the other side of things, you have an integrated Intel Graphics card as well as the NVIDIA. There can be conflicts when two video cards/graphics cards are involved (independant of the NIVIDIA issue). Typically you see disabling of the integrated card, in your case the Intel Graphics. But, I am not sure where that would lead stability wise.

You could look at both areas and see if you have displays gains for one or the other. I would look at rolling back the NVIDIA first.

Please review, and then we can discuss this further.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points