Skip navigation
TechDoc Jeanne
Currently Being Moderated

Show navigation pane link in topics

Nov 29, 2007 1:26 PM

Looking for more info on a new option for WebHelp layouts:

In the layout properties WebHelp Navigation screen (2nd page of properties) there is an option Show Navigation Page Link in Topics If I click the Help button on this screen, I see that this option is described as "Include a link to the navigation pane."

I don't see any such link in my topics when I generate WebHelp with this option enabled. I am just viewing my output locally. Are these links only visible when the Help is called using the API from a server?

Anyone using this option, or know what it is supposed to do?

I am using Breadcrumbs Links and these are working fine.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2007 4:15 AM   in reply to TechDoc Jeanne
    Hi JeanneMindjet

What this option does is to cause some JavaScript code to be added to each of your topic pages. The code executes when the page loads. Basically, it checks to see if the page is being displayed inside the WebHelp frameset. If so, it doesn't do anything. But if the page is opened directly by some means where it isn't inside the frameset, you will see a "Show" link. When the "Show" link is clicked, the full WebHelp frameset loads with the page inside the Topic pane.

Cheers... Rick

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 30, 2007 5:31 AM   in reply to TechDoc Jeanne
    You shouldn't have to mess with multiple windows; simply create one WebHelp output and let your developers do the heavy lifting.

You would generate the WebHelp with the "Show" link (which you can customize by using Rick's "Changing the 'Show' link appearance in all topics (WebHelp Only)" topic.

Note that you can also change the verbiage from "Show" to whatever, by replacing the "+sTitle+" string (including the two double quotes), so that your result is:

title=\"My_Show_Link\"

For CSH, the developers would call the topic's URL directly (target_topic.htm instead of start_page.htm#target_topic.htm). This would display the single topic pane only, with your spiffy new Show link available to open the full frameset version.

Good luck,
    Leon

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points