Skip navigation
GagaDVDMaker
Currently Being Moderated

Menu Navigational Buttons

Feb 6, 2014 11:58 AM

I have created a DVD in Premier Essentials 12.  The navigational forward and back menu buttons work in the completed movie's "Disc Preview" mode on the computer, but these navigational buttons showed up but did not work on the burned DVD.  Why not and how can I fix?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 6, 2014 12:55 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

Where did you get this "Premiere Essential 12"?

On what computer operating system is it running?

What specific disc menu are you using? Was your end product DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc, DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, or AVCHD on DVD disc?

What player were you using when you say that the navigational buttons showed up but did not work on the burned DVD?

The Why not and how to fix will come from the details that you supply.

Looing forward to your follow up with details to help us help you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 1:23 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I do not know what this Premiere Essentials from Amazon is all about. I will check that out to determine what the difference(s) might be between that and what Adobe sells and calls Premiere Elements 12.

Also, I will do a run through with my Premiere Elements 12 to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen played back on the TV and computer, using the Family Memories disc menu. Just want to make sure that we are not dealing with a flawed menu whose flaws have not been fully documented. It happens sometimes.

What happens if you playback the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD on the computer instead of the Blu-ray/DVD player? Can the menus be navigated then using the remote?

More later.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 1:29 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

Can you supply a link to the Amazon web site that features the product that you purchased and are naming as Premiere Essentials 12? I have been unsuccessful in finding such a product.

Meanwhile I am continuing with my road testing of your issue with Premiere Elements 12 as described previously.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 2:23 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

I am doing the Premiere Elements 12 burn to DVD as mentioned earlier and will report back with the results soon.

Thanks for the Premiere Elements 12 information.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 3:05 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

TV DVD Player with Remote for Navigation

Main Menu

Play All Button and ScenesBottom each use a Cloths Button Hightlight.

For me, inititally Play Button presented with the Gray Button

and

and the Scene Button presented with the Brown Button

and

when I hit the Enter on the Remote, Play All resulted.

Apparently, the gray highlight is the one that indicates the choice being made. My first instinct was to go for the brown as the one to indicate the choice.

Scene Selection Page

X highlight is used to navigate the scene thumbnails and the menu button (to get back to the main menu) uses the cloths button highlight.

Computer Playback Windows Media Player 12 with Mouse Cursor Navigation

Essentially the same as with TV.

Please review the above and then let us know where you are differing in what is happening there when you say the menus do not work on the TV, but work on the computer.

For TV

a. There are no highlights displaying...buttons are all gray, all brown, or other

b. Clicking on Play All or Scenes, does not get the Play All or the Scene Selection Page

c. Other

Depending on your results and comments, I would suggest the following for now for troubleshooting purposes

a. try the playback on one or two TV DVD player setups

b. try another menu

Looking forward to your comments and results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 3:29 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

Just saw your post 8 about numbers of buttons per Scene Selection page.

If you want more buttons than 5, then you would have to go into the .psd file for the Scene Menu on the hard drive and edit it with Photoshop CS or higher. Or, if you can get a given version of Photoshop Elements on a given operating system to work for this purpose (very ify), Photoshop Elements Full Editor is the way to go.

If you want less buttons per page, then just use less scene markers on the Timeline. If you have 3 scene markers on the Timeline, then you will get only 3 scene thumbnails in the Scene Selection Page.

Please let me know if I have targeted your question.

Please take a look at my blog post on disc menu modification which just happens to use the Family Memories Theme as part of the demo.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dv d-menu.html

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 4:17 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

This should be easy since all we would be doing is removing Layer Sets from the Scene Menu .psd file with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop.

With Family Memories, the Scene Selection page is designed for 5 buttons per page. When you add more than 5 scene markers to the Timeline, then a copy of the first is generated for the next five, and so on.

Each scene in the Scene Selection page is traced back to its own Layer Set in that Scene Menu.psd file. So,

Given your total of 12 scene markers, if you wanted a Scene Selection page with 3 buttons, then we go into the .psd file and delete 2 of the 5 Layers Sets for the buttons. That will give you 4 Scene Selection pages each with 3 scenes (buttons).

If you wanted a Scene Selection page with 4 buttons, then we go into the Scene Menu .psd file and delete 1 of the 5 Layer Sets for the buttons. That will give you 3 Scene Selection pages each with 4 scenes (buttons).

Check out the blog post. If it is too overwhelming, do not worry about that. I will customize a version for you.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 5:47 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

You leave your menu markers on the Timeline as it.

Their appearance in the menus will be in the order that they are in on the Timeline.

All you will be doing by deleting Layer Sets is to cause the generation of additional menu pages as you exceed the button limit designed into the page.

Example

The first Timeline scene marker will be on Scene Menu page 1, and so on. Once you hit the limit of the number of buttons designed into a page, an additional menu page will be automatically generated.

So, with a 4 button menu, the fifth Timeline scene marker will be on Scene Menu page 2, and so on.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you are not with me on those details. If not following, I will rewrite if necessary.

When do you need this menu so that you can send this gift to your husband?

Right now. What are you preferring, the 4 button or 3 buttons per page type?

Also, is this going to be a DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc? Are you working from a NTSC or PAL set up?

Do you have any version of Photoshop Elements or Photoshop?

More later.

ATR

Add On..Do not let my blog post scare you. You situation is extremely easy. With the details requested above, you should have the menu ready for use within hours after I post the details in your thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2014 6:49 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

Please check you Adobe Private Messages for one from me.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2014 9:59 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

In response to your post numbered 8 in your thread, I have just published a blog post with step by step with graphics on how to delete scene menu buttons from the Memories/Family Memories Theme.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-scene-menu-customizationdecreasi ng.html

I have proofread the blog post several times and no changes indicated so far.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 1:22 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

Nancy

Thanks for the follow up.

About those previous and next buttons...have you done a side test run where you leave the menus as is and burn to disc (no user customization) and then check out those menu navigation buttons on the TV DVD player?

Are you using the disc menu section window Safety Margins?

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 2:50 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

I do not recall if I asked "When you are not seeing the previous and next buttons, how many menu pages do you have?"

If you have 12 scene markers and the Memories/Family Memories theme (5 scene buttons per scene page), do you have

Main Menu

Scene Menu page 1

Scene Menu page 2

Scene Menu page 3

Are previous and forward buttons not seen any where?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 6:04 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

GagaDVDMaker

If you want to do troubleshooting of the menu, then consider working from a copy of your project.

Use the program's File Menu/Save A Copy to generate a copy that you can work with for the menus.

Looking forward to further developments with the previous and next buttons.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:58 PM   in reply to GagaDVDMaker

Nancy

Make a copy of the original project, the one where the next/previous buttons are not showing up on the end product that you play back on your DVD Player.

Open that copied project to the Movie Menu customization workspace. Right click the Movie Menu customization area screen, select Safety Margins.

With your 12 scene markers on the Timeline and that Memories/Family Memories theme (5 scene buttons per page version)

Scene Menu page 1 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu

and

b. only a Next button to Scene Menu page 2.

Select the Next button wherever it is now and move it so that it is above the bottom line of the Safety Margins inner rectangle and not overlapping with any other button, Main or Scene.

Movie-Menu-1.jpg

Scene Menu page 2 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu

and

b. both a Next and a Previous button...both positioned above the bottom line of the Safety Margins  inner rectangle...select, when you see the bound box around the object, drag upward to position as above that line. Again, no button overlaps.

Movie-Menu-Page-2.jpg

Scene Menu page 3 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu page

and

b. Only a Previous button which needs to be position above the bottom line of the Safety Margins inner rectangle.

MovieMenu-Page-3.jpg

Please check out the above and then let us know if you are OK with the details and if I have interpreted your present situation correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points