Skip navigation
Natalia_K7
Currently Being Moderated

IMAGES cut off when converting to epub

Feb 7, 2014 4:27 AM

Tags: #error #photo #ebook #conversion #epub

Hello!

I am trying to create a Photo e-book and when I convert my file to epub the images are cut off!!

In the indesign file all looks perfect, I used rectangle option, object export options and everything else. But when I view the e photo book in epub - the bottom of all my images is cut off. Can anyone please help me out here?? MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2014 5:36 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

We need to know your InDesign version and computer platform.

Did you anchor the images in the text flow? What object export options did you set on the images that are being cut off?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 8:02 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

I think I need to see a screen capture of your layout to get some idea of what you're doing.

You can use the "camera" icon in the edit window to attach it to your message.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 8:32 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

So there is no text, only one single graphic, right?

I bet you're previewing in Adobe Digital Edition.

ADE always cuts off the cover (first page). See the cover of this book below in ADE:

Adobe Digital Editions002.jpg

Now drag the ADE window wider so it shows two pages, and you'll see nothing is cut off:

Adobe Digital Editions003.jpg

Nothing is lost.

It's a good idea to view on another device, like an iPad, so really view the pictures.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 10:13 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

As Steve suggested, see if you can open it in a actual device. ADE is not the most reliable for checking epubs. On the EPUB Export Options/Image did you check Insert Page Break and choose one of the options? Play a bit with the Change font size in ADE and see if you see a change.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 10:25 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

I absolutely can recommend Anne-Marie Concepcion's videos on creating EPUB on Lynda.com. They are the best. (Note it's not specifically about creating a photo book, but on all aspects of creating an EPUB.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2014 11:23 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

Can you post a sample, maybe a couple of pages somewhere (like dropbox.com) so we can take a look at it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 8:44 PM   in reply to Natalia_K7

Hi Natalia,

Did you view your EPUB on any other ereader? I think Readium would be good option to try out. Readium is a free ebook reader available as a free app on Chrome. As Ellis said, a sample document would be helpful to understand the problem. You can package it and upload it on dropbox and I can take a look at it and let you know where the problem is. Are you using InDesign CC or the upgraded version 9.2?

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 5:58 AM   in reply to Natalia_K7

Hi Natalia,

Sure, you can share packaged InDesign document on dropbox for me to take a look. My email id is: pja@adobe.com.

I think creating a package and uploading the zipped package on dropbox would be best.

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign  Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 7:27 AM   in reply to pooja2087

Hi Natalie,

I could see the images getting cut. This is the issue with ereaders and the maximum size should be 600 x 600 pixels for the image to appear properly. I changed the image size of the images in your document and then the issue of images getting cut was resolved. Also, you have set relative size on your images, is this intentional or you want them to be fixed size instead? Please try once exporting the same document after changing the image sizes and see if you are facing the issue. [Use Readium to view the EPUB].

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 5:31 PM   in reply to Natalia_K7

Hi Natalia,

You can select the image by selection tool and change its height(H) and width(W) from control panel as in the screenshot below:

cntrol.PNG

Also to change the image from Relative size to fixed, do the following;

1. Select Image

2. Open Object Export Options dialog

3. Select Size as Fixed from Size dropdown in Custom Rasaterisation section. Please see the screenshot below:

OEO.PNG

Please try once and let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Pooja

InDesign Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 3:12 AM   in reply to pooja2087

Hi Natalia,

Since you did not reply back on the forum, I thought of confirming with you again. Did you try the above steps?

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points