Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shape paths

Feb 7, 2014 4:49 AM

I'm creating shapes that morph together, so they need to be unconstrained. E.g a regular rectangle needs to then move into a loud speaker shape.

I did read some articles on regular shape paths and bevel paths (I believe), one is where you can take a single point (any point) and adjust that point only to any position, creating a distorted shape... and one where dragging a point will just scale the object in the direction you drag on the x or y axis (how shape layers are by default in AE).

I would like to create a path I can adjust at the corners within AE, rather than having to create in Illustrator and take across. Is this possible?

At the moment I had to create a shape in Illustrator, import it and select 'create shapes from vector layer'. This gave me the flexibility I wanted from the original shape layer in AE.

Am I just missing an obvious trick here? I tried double clicking my path to get the dotted lines, but then couldn't seem to move any of the points any differently...

Thanks for any help, hope this makes sense!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2014 5:25 AM   in reply to _lornaw_

Use the Rounbd Corners Shape layer modifier. It works globalyl on all corners of a path, though. If you need individual rounding, copy&paste is your only option at this point.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:12 AM   in reply to _lornaw_

Shape Layer --> "Add" menu in the top toolbar --> Round Corners

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 5:25 AM   in reply to _lornaw_

Use the rounded rectangle tool in AE then animate the size and the corner radius. EZ as pie...

Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 5.24.29 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 6:57 AM   in reply to _lornaw_

When you create a shape layer from vectors you create a shape layers from the vector path just as you would have if you used the pen tool. Shape tools create either polystars, rectangles and the other shapes in the list using geometric descriptions. That's the difference. It does not mean you cannot animate the Path, it just means that the animation is not as easy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points