Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I turn off system sounds in Audition?

Feb 8, 2014 10:54 AM

Hi,

I have all the Windows system sounds turned off in Control Panel --> Sounds. But every time I click something in Audition, I get one of the sounds - piano chord hit, bell, click sound, etc. It's annoying to try to mix and have to wait for some of these sounds to fade out (the piano sound takes nearly 10 seconds to go away). This is only happening in Audition, no other programs on my computer.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

-Ro

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 8, 2014 11:35 AM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

Generally the way to do this is to select the option that says 'no sounds'. At all...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 8, 2014 1:28 PM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

If you've got any form of registry protection in place, then the chances are that this setting won't stick. Another alternative is that the 'no sounds' setting has accidentally been overwritten so that it still has some sounds in it. It's only a program name, so that's quite possible; you should go through the list when it's selected and make sure that it really has got them all turned off.

Ultimately, the best way to make sure that no windows sounds ever play is to delete the wav files for them...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 19, 2014 2:21 AM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

Well I can tell you one thing for sure - they are absolutely not system sounds! Well, not as we normally think of them, anyway. Apart from anything else, they fire far too quickly, and they are firing different sounds on mouse-clicks. I did a quick search, and it would appear that a lot of people have trouble with strange noises like this, and that there are probably a whole raft of other system settings you should go through to find out what's causing them.

I can't find a specific reference to exactly what you've got, but they sound very much like the 'assist' sounds you get that are aimed at blind users of screens - but not quite. But that's pretty much the area you need to be searching the machine to find. Chances are that it's caused by a running service or process, and that once you've found out which one and stopped it, that they'll stop. Downloading and using Sysinternals' Process Explorer might help you to locate the offending item. Another thing you could try is looking in the Ease of Access Center, and see if there's anything in there that might be causing this.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2014 4:00 PM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

Rowen_Poole wrote:

and given the fact that I am not the only one experiencing these odd sound issues,

Who else has been suffering from these unwanted "system" sounds? I don't recall any other threads from others with this particular problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 4:01 PM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

I haven't been able to view the video you posted earlier, but I can't think of anything specific that changed between Au CS6 and CC that would introduce this sort of behavior.  Audition CC was 64-bit whereas CS6 was still a 32-bit application, but I am not certain how that would trigger this sort of behavior.  Maybe verify that you don't have a Control Surface assigned in the preferences, in case a MIDI service is intercepting or responding to control events?  If you perform the same actions that invoke a sound on click when using a keyboard shortcut, do you still hear the sounds?

First task, however, would be to find out what these sounds are and what they belong to.  If they're not Windows system sounds, they must be coming from some installed application.  How big is the video file you posted?  Is there a chance you could post it to your Creative Cloud account and share the link?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 7:20 PM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

I tried the video again from home, but even here, I'm only getting ~5K/sec.  Not sure what's happening there.  But I think I understand what's happening now.  Mackie MCU uses MIDI for communication.  If the controller works with Audition fine, AND you're hearing MIDI sounds, then my best guess is that it's receiving MIDI on separate channels and that one of them is triggering sounds.

If you go into the Control Surface preferences and click Configure, are there multiple devices listed?  Is the Configure display exactly the same as the CS6 edition?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 26, 2014 2:25 AM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

Rowen_Poole wrote:

No. There are not multiple devices listed (in either CS6 or CC).

Ah - I understand what Durin is suggesting now. It's not Audition that has the additional device enabled - it can't reproduce MIDI sounds anyway. What he's suggesting is that some other MIDI-playing device is enabled on your PC, and it's this that is reproducing the sounds. Quick way to tell is to go to the mixer control panel and disable the MIDI playback channel and see if they stop.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 26, 2014 2:52 PM   in reply to Rowen_Poole

Rowen_Poole wrote:

This led me to believe that the odd sounds were coming from the MIDI output device Microsoft Wavetable GS Synth setting.

That's exactly what Durin was suggesting. I should have perhaps made it clearer that the mixer I was referring to was the Windows mixer (ie, not a physical device), which is where the output of the Microsoft Wavetable GS synth goes to.

What appears to be happening is that whenever the mouse is moved over the screen onto something that can generate a MIDI output, that output is going to the Wavetable synth. When you edited the settings, it's very likely that you either changed the channel that they were being sent on, or, just as likely, ended up sending a channel change to the Wavetable synth telling it to respond to a channel which has no sounds set up on it...

Why it's not retaining the settings you assigned is another matter though, because it should. But the other thing which should stop it completely (so it's not an issue at all) is to figure out which service in the PC's OS is running the synth, and arrange for it not to start.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points