Skip navigation
AustinShope
Currently Being Moderated

MySearchDial Virus/Hijack from Reader Update

Feb 9, 2014 3:49 PM

Tags: #update #reader #virus

Yesterday, while attempting to access a site including a PDF, I was prompted by Chrome to update my Reader version to the most recent version. I was taken to the typical Adobe Reader site, where I selected to download the update, but not the McAfee scanner. However, not only did I get the reader update, I now  have a very prominent and hard to get rid of virus/browser hijacker called MySearchDial. I have tried multiple times to get rid of this, including editing the registry, and running 3 seperate Antivirus and AntiMalware programs (Avast!, Malwarebytes, and Adware Removal Tool), all to no avail. i can 100% confirm that the virus/hijack got onto my computer at the same time as this Reader update as the issue did not crop up until after reader had been updated and my browser was restarted. I am unsure of what to do or where to go from here, but want to warn all users of this poisonous update.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2014 5:56 PM   in reply to AustinShope

Something is very strange: Chrome does not use the Adobe Reader plugin, so why would it prompt you to download an update?

Where exactly did it take you?  Can you post the URL from where you downloaded the update?  Also, can you post the name of that update file?

Adobe Reader is downloaded by millions of users; yet you are the only one who is reporting an infection from a Reader update.

P.S. this is where the latest Adobe Reader update should come from

Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5715

Mac OS: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5717

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 2:02 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

He is not alone.  Hardly.   You need to do a general online browser search for the terms "Adobe Reader" paired with "MySearchDial," and you'll find this is a current and widely-reproducible problem. Your mistake is, perhaps, in thinking that people trust Adobe far enough any longer to come here FIRST for solutions to the problems the Adobe app installations are causing.

I just ran into the same problem this morning, when I performed an Adobe Reader update spurred by the Adobe Application Manager.  I am a retired software engineer, and trust me I was exceedingly careful to select the 'No' button in response to every damned prompt to load associated crapware as I attempted to load the latest Adobe Reader.

I've just completed spending all frickin' day clearing my system, through a combination of registry edits, uninstall using the Microsoft-recommended "System Repair Engineer" application (since the Control Panel->Programs and Features dialog was unable to uninstall it), and browser re-sets.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 4:45 PM   in reply to COHikerGirl

Thank you for your additional comments.  It would have been most interesting if you had documented that update process, e.g. with screenshots.

What confuses me is that you used the Adobe Application Manager to update Adobe Reader.  Usually Reader updates using Adobe ARM, or from the Reader application itself (Help | Check for Updates).  None of these give you any options to download bundled crapware.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 9:20 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

You're quite right, Pat.  I wish I'd paid more attention to the initial prompt to do the update, but it appeared to be the familiar reminder and appeared to take me to a legitimate Adobe URL.  Of course, now I wonder whether it was masquerading.  The only other updater service that might have introduced the reminder is the Samsung Software Updater which is also on my Samsung Ultrabook in addition to the Adobe Application Manager.  I suspect the problem might equally likely lie there, rather than with the Adobe Application Manager.  Having run into the problem this time, you can rest assured that the NEXT time I get an update notification from either of the two, I'm going to document the process closely, as I go.  Once burned ...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 1:04 PM   in reply to COHikerGirl

One piece of software known to produce prompts to update Adobe Reader that look very convincing and slip in extra software is "File Type Assistant". You can see if that is in Add/Remove programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2014 1:07 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

Or FreeFileViewer. See http://forums.adobe.com/message/6021099 reply 40 for a list of suspicious stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2014 2:49 PM   in reply to Test Screen Name

my arms are full of kitty at the moment but will d0! thx! hope i find one of them; would  'splain it

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points