Skip navigation
petjuli
Currently Being Moderated

Extra chapter at end of DVD?

Feb 10, 2014 4:14 PM

Hello all,

Trying to chase down this issue of the extra phantom chapter at the end of a DVD.  Just for example, I create a DVD with no menu, nothing special and 3 chapter markers at the 10min, 20min, and 30min points.  The movie is 40 minutes long.

I would expect when I see the DVD to see that there are 4 chapters

1 - 0:00.00 - 10:00.00

2 - 10:00.01 - 20:00.00

3 - 20:00.01 - 30:00.00

4 - 30:00.01 - 40:00.00

However, Encore is adding an additional chapter at the end of the movie by default.  Its not a major issue, but it kind of a nag because on a DVD it shows as having 5 chapters both on the front display and when viewing in an application that displays the available / total chapters.

I know this extra chapter at the end is related to the "End Action" but for some reason even if I have the end action to "not set" and bypass the warnings on error check, that last phantom track at the very last frame of the movie is still there.

Is there any way to get rid of this track?  Or is it just something that you live with.  I've been telling my partner that its not that big of a deal but he's dead set that the DVD showing 5 chapters when there are really on 4 might be an issue of concern for some people.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2014 5:04 PM   in reply to petjuli

I can confirm that Encore appears to add a chapter at the end of a timeline.

I do not see a workaround for this. The chapter is not present in the project, and is present after build to a folder or disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 11:30 AM   in reply to petjuli

Seeing the same here.  Never noticed that before.

In the several hundred projects I've delivered over the decade, not one client has said anything either, so...I'm not too worried about it myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2014 8:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I remember this one from years ago, and the extra chapter point is created so that you can skip to the end of the timeline and trigger the end action instead of having to wait for the chapter to play out. If you are on a PC, go get a copy of PGCEdit (no disc author should be without this) and get rid of it from there if it bothers you.

This is a truly wonderful tool & allows you to pretty much edit the entire disc's structure & functionality without recompiling (it uses the IFO files) as well as getting rid of certain common compile problems (such as the addition of a 32kb gap betwen the Video_TS.IFO file & the Video_TS.BUP file) and much more besides.

Don't forget to donate either - it is a seriously good tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points