Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quicktime not an option on Sequence settings Video preview

Feb 10, 2014 9:10 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #codec #quicktime

In the sequence settings, under video preview, "Quicktime" is not listed as a Preview File Format.

Running Windows 8.1, 64bit

I have installed the latest Quicktime, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, repaired it, to no avail.

Also I have done the same with Premiere Pro, uninstalling and reinstalling.

Here is a screenshot of the drop-down menu that does not have the Quicktime option.

Preview_noquicktime.jpg

I have run out of ideas for how to get this to appear, so I came here :/

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2014 9:25 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

You dont need a QT option for preview.

QT is a wrapper / player.

Export as a QT if you really need to after editing.

Be prepared to get a bit of flack about anything QT.

Tell us why you want  QT maybe.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2014 11:17 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

That's just the Preview File Format. It generally relates only to the preview shown while editing (unless you select Match Sequence Settings when you export, which is not recommended).* It has no bearing on what kind of content you can use in your sequence or on what format and codec you can export to.

If you're interested in your codec options, select any sequence and go File>Export>Media, then poke around in the Export Settings dialog.

*The one case where the Preview File Format is essential is if you intend to do "Smart Rendering." To learn more: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/smart-rendering.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 5:55 AM   in reply to Kthecaptain

I can't tell from your image.... Do you have the "I-Frame Only MPEG" setting that is above the Microsoft AVI on my system?

It has been my go to codec...

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 8:15 AM   in reply to Kthecaptain

H.264 doesn't offer Smart Rendering anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 8:30 AM   in reply to Kthecaptain

I don't think you can on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 12:51 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

[Instead of starting a new thread on essentially the same issue, I've copied that info over to this original thread to keep things tidy.]

Kthecaptain wrote:

In Premiere Pro CC, on my PC, on the sequence settings I am presented with these options for Preview Format:

Preview_noquicktime.jpg

On all the other computers I've used this option included "I-Frame Only MPEG" and "Quicktime" which allowed for more codec options.

Here I am only presented with 5 or so codecs with "AVI" unlike the dozens I am presented with in the Exporter pane.

Will somebody please help, I need a way to alter the codec's I use for rendering previews.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 12:52 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

[Here's the one response from the duplicate thread.]

The Preview format options have always been somewhat limited. Consider this, that the previews should be just that - previews. When you have sufficient effects added to a clip to where it won't play smoothly in the timeline, you might wish to render it to get a better idea how the finished product will look. However, when you do the final export, best to NOT check the box for "Use Previews", since you would then be re-encoding (recompressing) the clip a second time. Better to export right the timeline, encoding straight from the source to final destination, diregarding any render previews you might have made.

Maybe you can elaborate on the intended use or workflow of your desired preview format? I'm a PC user and I think that on the Mac, with FCP, one had the option to render previews as QuickTime and those files could then be stitched together at the end without transoding them again, but not so with Premiere.

You might find that different Sequence Presets will provide different render preview options. 1280x960 is a non-standard format so that could limit your options.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 12:55 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

when you do the final export, best to NOT check the box for "Use Previews", since you would then be re-encoding (recompressing) the clip a second time.

While this is true for most preview formats used today, I think the situation could be improevd by adding a preview format that is of sufficient quality to be used for exports, does not take up too much room on the hard

drive, and renders fairly qwuickly...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1371240?tstart=60

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 6:04 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

Are you using Premiere Pro CC?

I so, I think the solution, for now at least, is to figure out why you are missung the I-Frame setting.

If not, then there is probably nothing you can do.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 7:41 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain
    So, I still cannot find a decent preview codec.

Not sure why you consider QT to be an  "anymore decent"  preview codec than others.

Do you have a special reason for this or a fact ?

Are you having any issues with the choices you have?

What is your source footage?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 10:14 AM   in reply to Kthecaptain

I would use I-Frame Only MPEG as a preview format, but even that is not listed!

That seems strange to me.  Try this:

FAQ: Why are some codecs and sequence presets missing from my installation of Premiere Pro?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 12:35 PM   in reply to Kthecaptain

So basically I prefer QT because it literally gives me more options, I don't like my options being limited.

I get that ...

My life is full of lack of options!

But technically and visually...what is the gain in these "options"?

I have never had or read of of any issues regarding preview codecs.

Its a bit like having WORD display everything in blue type and you are sending the doc to a B/W printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 1:00 PM   in reply to shooternz

I learned yesterday that in 7.0 we added support for smart rendering some codecs within QuickTime wrappers. Not sure how I missed that development... Anyway, this smart rendering support is Mac-only. I presume that's at least in part because QuickTime is not available as a Preview File Format on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 12:28 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

I have the I-Frame Only MPEG option on my Windows machine for Preview File Format, so I think you are correct. There is an activation problem going on here, as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points