Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Media Cache / Running out of space problem

Feb 11, 2014 12:24 AM

I'm working on a feature length project and i'm having a really annoying issue.  My project is on an external 3TB drive.  My media cache is also set to that same external hard drive.  My scratch disks are also set to that same drive.  I checked and rechecked it - it's all set as it should be.

Yet somehow, while editing, especially while rendering parts of the sequence, the space on my C drive (boot drive) fills up within minutes!

I tried to look through C drive to see if there's some hidden place Premiere saves some files too but i can't seem to find anything unusual.  Can someone please enlighten me on what is going on?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 15, 2014 9:23 AM   in reply to lcagaiden

What files is it filling up with?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2014 12:34 PM   in reply to lcagaiden

Not likely.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2014 6:32 PM   in reply to lcagaiden

Where do you keep your Windows Paging file (pagefile.sys) and how big do you allow it to get?

I use a SSD for my C: drive so I moved the file to a 4GB RAID. I haven't even given a second thought to accidentally filling up my C: drive.

Of course, after just writing that I checked the drive and found about 7GB of Windows Update junk and cleaned it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 9:16 AM   in reply to lcagaiden
    well, im not making it up.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that.  I don't doubt your observation, I just question your conclusion on the cause.  PP doesn't go around deleting files on it's own.  The closest it comes is Preview files or Offline Media, but even they require specific user actions to occur, it doesn't just happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 9:20 AM   in reply to lcagaiden

You're still associating the cause with PP, and I just don't believe that's very likely.  At least not the disappearing files part of it.  Any 'connection' with PP is likely more coincidental than causative.

To know for sure, you may need to find out what files are being created on the C: drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 11:38 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I have run into this from time to time, where i have 1.5 TB of space on my system drive, yet receive an error that my system drive is full and the only think I an do is force quit the programs.  However once i force quit, I still have the space on my drive.  I generally restart and everything works fine.  It seems it's only on some projects.  I had a real problem in November on a one hour progam, when it was rendering mostly.  I have since cut 3 more hours and it seemed to go away, then I was pulling a bunch of clips for stock footage and received the error again.

I've been communicating with Apple since the problem began in November and their only solution is to replace my RAM, which doesn't really make sense to me, but their engineers claim I must have a bad stick of RAM and since it's not Apple RAM they cn't help.  Hmm?

Jim Watt

Mac Pro (Mid 2009)

2 x 2.93 GHz 6 core Intel Xeon

OSX 10.8.5

40 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram

Kona III video card

Quadro 4000 graphics card

Adobe CC 7.2

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 10:24 PM   in reply to lcagaiden

If you don't know what a paging file is, then knowing where you put it is probably a moot point.

It is where Windows puts stuff temporarily when there isn't enough RAM to keep it all in memory.

Mine looks like this:

Capture.PNG

From the Conrol panel I selected System, then Advanced system settings, then on the Advanced tab, I selected the Settings button in the Performance area, then on the Advanced tab I clicked on the Chanhe button, and then found the one drive where I have the file.

Note that I do not let Windows manage it, and I don't let it grow and shrink. You probably do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points