Skip navigation
theweissguy
Currently Being Moderated

No Page from Template in Dreamweaver CC

Feb 11, 2014 2:19 PM

Tags: #template #dreamweaver

Using DW CC, new file doesn't bring up a page from template option. My site templates show up when I click Site Templates but there is no Page from Template option! Any suggesstions? I've reinstalled it once but no difference.

TIA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2014 2:27 PM   in reply to theweissguy

File > New > Site Templates > (Site) > (template name) > Create

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 3:20 PM   in reply to theweissguy

Did you define your site in DW CC?

If you haven't, it can't see existing Templates in local site's Templates folder.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 4:11 PM   in reply to theweissguy

You're not understanding either. The operation I detail will CREATE a new page from the template that you select. It will NOT create a new template file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 4:53 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Murray, and Nancy, the two of you are not reading: DREAMWEAVER CC IS NOT ALLOWING USER ACCESS TO TEMPLATES TO CREATE A NEW PAGE. PERIOD.

At least, not on my top end desktop machine. There are countless Windows warnings and errors while DW mushes around, not implmenting what it is supposed to implment. Namely, use a template to create a new page. Has Adobe forgotten what templates are for? One built-in site template, oddly (?) the ONLY TEMPLATE INSTALLED WITH DREAMWEAVER CC does not work, but will at least cerate the code (quickly corrupted by dreamweaver (as it screws up ANSI/UTF-8 etc page settings) FOR SOME INSTALLATIONS OF THE OS. Extremely rarely, after DW crashes and needs a new Windows 8 OS installation as well as a CC reinstallation, to pick itself up, it will actually succeed in creating a new site on a second consecutive Windows 8 installation which it will again mangle, without creating a stable, editable document created using the one built-in machine-crashing single site template collection of files a second time in a row! Wow! But mostly... no, sorry. That "template" thing has moved out of Dreamweavers grasp for modern publishing machines. DW is NO LONGER the last word in web design any more, though it still costs 4 times as much as its competitors. Which keeps us hoping for sweet old Adobe, yes? Me too! However, products like Sublime, NotepadPlus, and WeBuilder are taking over where Dreamweaver is failing big time, in the PC market. Way more, way better, way by far more variety of way less expensive web editors on my Mac even, too.

To understand the problem, Murray and Nancy, think TEMPLATE... ahhh! Used to create a new document.

Seriously though on a friendly note, where did you Adobe people get lost?

Nia'wen kowa, a'doh anh, an'doh ongwe! if that means anything over there (wherever you are).
    That's American (um, not U.S. colony thing) for wish you well. Good night! (suppertime ;o) take care!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 4:54 PM   in reply to Mark.Stewart

OK - let me try again. There is no Page From Template option. The steps I outlined are shown here -

DreamweaverScreenSnapz011.jpg

When you follow these steps you will produce a child page from the site template selected in the third vertical column.

Now - are you saying that you do not see these columns properly populated? That you cannot access any site template?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 12:53 AM   in reply to theweissguy

thewiseguy,

I thought that I was the only one hanging on... It's not like Adobe is the only one having problems with WYSIWYG editors. Same all round. NSA and any number of other spooky causes come to mind, but the reall problem is the sophistication of new browsers, new desktop hardware, rapid revolution from desktop only editing to inclusion of just about every connected device out there; and the numbers of connected devices is expanding far more rapidly than any ever expected, with players like China's and India's diversifications now only 10% there but expected to engage as fully as we are in less than four (4) years, and who knows where we all go from there.

But to make it all really simple for Adobe support, here in these forums where related questions are never tackled head on... kindly read this Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_editor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_editor#Difficulties_in_achieving_WYSI WYG

Note: this article, while gaining focus, is as lost to the full extent of the incrementing problems as our sorry old-fashioned isolated editing device approach.

Now, Microsoft has retreated into Sharepoint big-frame corporate network publishing with VB and WebMatrix. While FP cum STUDIO only mangles Windows half as often as DW (it is their own OS after all), it's not much better, doing weird things like causing every application to save into ghost data dumps without user warnings until everything  system-wide is lost)... Far worse, Microsoft Studio problems get ported by the new Windows 8.1 account server from one Windows install to the next, EVEN WHEN DISKS ARE WIPED CLEAN WITH DISKPART! - And yes, Microsoft apps are more effected by this than 3rd party apps like CC.

Okay, so Adobe and Microsoft need to fess up BIG TIME! Everyone is having WYSIWYG web editing problems as OS drifts into some weird new rapidly changing dynamic security model that WYSIWYG can't fit... or can it?

I know you are feeling negative reading this, but full stop please! Look at that Wiki article, that does not include a link to WIX, http://www.wix.com/ direct code editing paying members only). Notice that all the 'modern' Mac and PC apps that work are raw code, text editors. WYSIWYG self-instaleld software is NOT keeping up excepting online publishing services. Since OS's are rapidly becoming impregnable isolated SECURE devices, we need an ONLINE DREAMWEAVER CC web publishing service. Check out that cute Wix link. Now fill that with CC richness. YOU GET IT, FINALLY! CC has to transition into an online publishing presence. Along with PS (eg, http://pixlr.com/editor/) and everything else DREAMWEB!

Where is it? When is it coming? Yes Please! A.S.A.P.

PLEASE!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points