Skip navigation
toynut1
Currently Being Moderated

External hard drives not being recognized by Lr4

Feb 11, 2014 7:02 PM

When I hooked up my two external hard drives to my computer this week, Lr4 is not recognizing them. Each folder has a question mark by it.

Appreciate any help..thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 11, 2014 7:08 PM   in reply to toynut1

What is your OS?? Are they showing on the computer????

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2014 7:09 PM   in reply to toynut1

What is your operating system? If you are a Windows user could the drive letters have changed? Also has the folder structure on the drive been changed outside of Lightroom?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 1:29 AM   in reply to toynut1

It would be easier to resolve if you could give us screenshots of the Folders Panel in Lightroom's Library modules, and the system drive display when you click on Start>Computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 3:04 AM   in reply to toynut1

No screenshots appear. Are you responding via email? Can't attach screenshots that way. Best way is to reply via the web interface, then use the camera icon in the reply box to attach the screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 4:05 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

Are the drives listed as either A: or B:

Lightroom will not find those drives, they must be a different letter

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 6:44 AM   in reply to toynut1

No, you can't copy and paste screenshots either. Just use the camera icon at the top of the reply box which will allow you to attach the screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 8:20 AM   in reply to toynut1

the screenshots need to be an image format. jpg or bmp should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 9:30 AM   in reply to toynut1

As you're on Windows, use the bundled Snipping Tool (in the Accessories folder) to create the screenshots (that will save into jpg or png formats), then attach them to your post using the camera icon. See attached:

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 10:24 AM   in reply to toynut1

Thanks. That leads to the need for two more. In Lightroom can you right-click on the first folder listed under the Elements (G:) drive and select "Show Parent Folder", then take a screenshot of the resulting Folders Panel.

Then use Explorer to show me the folder listing of that Elements drive.

Given that the actual drive letter matches what Lightroom was expecting, we need to look further into why all the folders are listed as missing. So we need to see what Lightroom thinks is the parent folder for all those folders, then look to see if it's actually showing correctly on the drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 12:58 PM   in reply to toynut1

Well, as you can see we have quite a problem here. Apart from that first folder (Amish 102009 II), none of the remaining folders shown in the Lightroom screenshot appear in the Explorer view of that G drive. So where are they? Can I have a look (i.e. screenshot) at the root level folder display of that G drive (i.e. next level up from the "My Photos" folder)? And what are the H and K drives? Do they figure in Lightroom at all? If so can you do screenshots of those drives in Explorer?

Is it possible that Windows has switched the drive letters?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 5:32 AM   in reply to toynut1

If you can give me screenshots of the drives that I suggested in my previous post, we might be able to solve the mystery.

But don't start importing any of those "missing" folders until we exhaust all other possibilties.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:50 AM   in reply to toynut1

David, yes that certainly looks like the problem. The issue isn't about how you disconnected them, it's all about the order in which you reconnected them again. Unless you assign a specific drive letter to a specific drive, Windows will assign the first available letter when you connect a drive. So it looks as though you connected the Elements drive (so it was assigned the letter G) before the Passport drive (assigned letter H), hence the problem with Lightroom.

Simple fix for now would be to eject those two drive properly, disconnect them, reboot, then connect them again but this time connect the Passport drive first, check to ensure it gets letter G, then connect the Elements drive and check it gets the letter H. Then start Lightroom and you should be OK.

Longer term, you might want to consider assigning drive letters near the end of the alphabet, which would prevent this from happening. Problem with that is that everything goes missing in Lightroom again, so has to be relinked using the "Find Missing Folder" command. On the Elements drive that's easy as you have a single parent folder (MY PHOTOS) so you only need to relink that one and all the sub-folders get relinked also. Takes seconds. On the Passport drive, however, that's a challenge as you have what looks like hundreds of folders all at the root level (personally I think that's a bad idea), so relinking those would be a nightmare. You could easily fix that in Lightroom before reassigning the drive letter by creating a parent folder (someling like MY PASSPORT PHOTOS?) then selecting all the individual folders (within the Folders Panel) and dragging and dropping them onto that new Parent Folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:12 PM   in reply to toynut1

No worries. Pleased it's sorted, and thanks for letting us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 2:59 PM   in reply to toynut1

Dave, none of us "helpers" are Adobe employees, we're all users just like you....this is a user-to-user forum where we all try to help each other.

Back to the specifics of your problem, "eject" is a function you should find in the system tray area of the Windows taskbar, though you may need to click on the little up-pointing arrow (marked in blue on the attached screenshot) to "show hidden icons", that'll reveal a bunch of other icons and the one you need is marked in red. Click on that to reveal a list of devices that can be ejected, select the one you want and wait to be advised that it is safe to disconnect it.

To be honest, I would never disconnect a drive just by unplugging it.

In terms of your other external drives, as I said Windows will assign the first available drive letter, unless you yourself use the "change drive letter" option to assign a specific drive letter....in that case Windows will remember that assignment and will thereafter always use that letter provided that it is available at the time of reconnection. In other words Windows does not reserve the drive letter, but it will use it if it happens to be available.

For this reason I've assigned drive letters to ALL my backup hard drives that I routinely dismount after use, so I know that I'll always get the same letter each and every time (which is fundamental to my backup strategy).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 1:15 AM   in reply to toynut1

Sorry, forgot to attach the screenshot. Here it is:

Untitled.png

You should see that, it's a standard function on Windows7, and I assume on Windows 8 also (though of course it might be in a different place). If you are on Win7 and you can't see it there, right-click on a blank spot on the taskbar and select "Properties", you want the Taskbar tab, then select "Customise" in the Notification area section. That'll pop-up a list of icons for display in the notification area and you should see the Eject icon listed there, set the appropriate option using the dropdown arrow and you should be then be OK.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points