Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When will Fireworks be fixed and become usable?

Feb 11, 2014 7:39 PM

Tags: #error #scrolling #bug #fireworks #saving #bugs #canvas #intermitent

For a major project it was decided to use Fireworks rather than Photoshop because of the vector capabilities, project file sizes and workflow. A number of bugs have made it quite frustrating (Mac OS 10.9.1 and Fireworks 12.01.274 - both latest).

These are bugs as they sometimes happen even with  identical work proceedures:

- Fireworks sometimes changes the canvas size of pages which are not selected. For example, I am working in  Page 1 and then change the canvas size and Fireworks changes the canvas for this one and also Page 3 . The option to 'change on this page only' is selected and the inconsistency is revealed as Page 2 hasn't been changed. A problem with this is that you don't immediately notice and content on the other page is cut off. In my case I couldn't revert.

- There is a severe problems saving an open file properly (Error: "Could not complete your request / The file is already open in another application")  The file isn't open in any other applications - although it is selected (highlighted) in MacOS Finder. But this does't affect file saving in other Adobe and non-Adobe programs so why is it different for Fireworks? As a consolation, fireworks adds a few files such as 00000002 and 00000003 to my desktop. Info says they are Fireworks PNG files... but can I trust them... best not to.

- Why is content selection with scrolling not possible. If I have a long section of content to select which extends beyond the page, why can't I click and drag the mouse down so that the page scrolls down. Why to I have to drag the cursor below the window and have to then wiggle it around to get the screen to scroll.

- When pasting in a set of items and then manually giving in X / Y coordinates  Fireworks sometimes doesn't want to move and reverts to '0'..... but not all the time, sometimes it prefers to move to a completely different location... and at other times it works as it should.

Dear Fireworks team - some of these are part of everyday workflow and really deserve to be working properly. As my colleagues have reported the same problems can you please fix these.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2014 12:17 AM   in reply to discography

I would not bet on Adobe fixing anything in Fireworks. Fireworks' development is dead - Adobe told us some time ago they would stop development.

Harsh, but unfortunately that's the reality. We'll have to switch to other software - and Adobe has nothing in its stable that can completely replace it.

Myself, I am awaiting EvolveUI with much anticipation: http://tribaloid.com/

The devs worked with Fireworks, and since Adobe is no longer going to support it they decided to create their own modernized version.

Let's see what happens. For what's it worth now, currenly I use Photoline for all my web work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points