Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to stop two copies of Photoshop opening, CC14 and CC14.2

Feb 11, 2014 9:45 PM

Sometimes when I open a image in Photoshop via Lightroom it opens Photoshop 14.0, even if Photoshop 14.2 is already running.  This also happens if I go through bridge or double click a file.

When I search for apps I only fine one version of Photoshop - whats going on? I don't want two copies of Photoshop open!

Mac OS 10.8.5;  MacPro 2 x 2.4 Quad-core Intel Xeon; 24 GB RAM

Thanks

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 11, 2014 9:55 PM   in reply to John Doogan

If you are the John Doogan from New Zealand, then I went to one of your Photoshop seminars in Nelson some years ago. It was very good!

[EDIT]  Sorry, I don't do Macs John, but I have never heard of the same version of Photoshop being installed twice to the same system (appart from the 32 and 64 bit separate installations).  Can you go Help > About Photoshop in each instance to see if it is in fact the 32 and 64 bit versions?  Although I have never manage to have those open at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 11, 2014 10:19 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor, on PCs there's some kind of run-time check that Photoshop does that prevents two different copies from starting, even though they may both be installed.  I don't believe they do that on Macs.

So the implication here is that somehow John has both 14.0 and 14.2 installed.  THAT's a problem.

John, I can't unfortunately answer your question directly, except to add this comment:  The way Photoshop CC is delivered, I'm sure you're not supposed to be able to get to the point where you have two different minor versions of it installed.

Restoring normal operation may be a matter of uninstalling all of them (Adobe offers a Creative Suite Cleaner Tool that will likely help with that), then getting just the one latest version installed again.  You'll likely end up with a net gain in disk space.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 13, 2014 3:03 PM   in reply to John Doogan

I'm not a Mac user, but isn't there some "task management" tool that will show you what's running, and what disk image it comes from?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,977 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Feb 13, 2014 3:25 PM   in reply to John Doogan

John switch platforms. On a windows if I have any version of Photoshop and I try to open an other version I'm thrown into the currently open other version. Kind of wish I could do what Mac users can do open more then one version of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2014 12:02 AM   in reply to John Doogan

Hi John,

You should be able to find the path by going to Help> System Info...

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points