Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I lower segment volume in waveform view?

Feb 11, 2014 8:35 PM

There is just one 'whack' on the guitar that is too loud and out of place in a song I recorded. Is it possible to lower the volume on just that one bit of audio in waveform view? The reason I ask this is I have lowered the volume using the built-in boxes to fade in and fade-out which works really nice with this. If I go to multitrack view then I lose those nice fade-in and fade outs. This is just one short simple song that is perfect otherwise so I don't want to do anything but lower that one wave form that goes off the chart for a milisecond.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 12, 2014 2:16 AM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

Yes you can alter one segment of audio in Waveform view quite easily - just highlight it and use the channel mixer (or one of several other tools). But almost certainly, you won't want to do it, because this will alter the whole waveform amplitude, and not just the guitar. So you'll end up with a 'jump' in the sound.

My advice would be to go back to multitrack view and fix this properly there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2014 4:33 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Or run it through the Dynamics Processing effect using it as a Limiter. There are various presets that you could try but you will have to make adjustments to suite your particular recording.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 12, 2014 1:29 PM   in reply to Ken Nielsen

If it really is just the level that needs altering in one place, then you can use the volume automation lane for this. If you need to compress just the guitar (a much better way to use a compressor than on the whole mix) then you can either apply it just to the clip, or to the track it's in (it will then affect all the clips in it). Generally it would be better applied to the whole track, because then you have a consistent sound for it, rather than mucking about with little bits. But both options are there, so it's up to you.

It's worth noting that whatever effects you use in Multitrack, (twirl-down next to the 'read' button) you can automate all of the effects controls. This means that you will have far more precise control over everything you do with them. There's absolutely no need to do a mixdown at all until you're pretty happy with the overall result, although sometimes it helps to take early mixdowns to other places to listen to them. It's sometimes surprising what this can reveal...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points