Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help with default render options

Feb 12, 2014 2:48 PM

I don't know what the best practices are for rendering, but I've got settings I prefer to use, and I want to set them as a default in AE, but can't seem to find that option

First, they deprecated h.264.  it's really the only valid option for rendering tight compression to be viable size for uploading. but i enabled the feature to show old formats.

What I need to do is set it so it automatically defaults to my settings. it's a real pain to have to manually change that every time I render.

Also, along these lines I have a related question. Well, related sort-of.

I use Adobe Media Encoder when i can, i realize this is one reason they deprecated h.264 fronm AE. BUt what I don't get, is why I can't render anything that's GPU heavy in ME? for instance, if I use Element 3d it will utilize the cuda cores heavily in my video card. But I can't render those in ME. when I try to I get many many many many back to back errors and it finally jsut fails. I have a supported video card, though not a 'top dog' it's a GeForce GTX 770 which is plenty to tackle the work.

So i really would like some assistance on both questions if possible

thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 12, 2014 2:56 PM   in reply to fastnoc

Can't answer the AME question.  But You can make as many Output Modules and Render Settings as you like! 

Go Edit>Templates>Output Module (or Render Settings).  It should be pretty self-explanatory from there.  It's also where you set the defaults... any of which could be the ones you make.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 6:40 AM   in reply to fastnoc

The reason H.264 was deprecated in AE is that it's not very good at making them compared to the Adobe Media Encoder. There are rather technical reasons for that, but they're not important right now. What is important is coming up with a proper workflow for you.

From the sound of things, it would be better for you to render in AE. However, you don't want to do H.264 out of AE.

So here's my suggestion (and this is the workflow I tend to follow). Render out of AE into a production codec. This can result in a large file if you go right into an uncompressed AVI (which isn't a big deal), but I tend to use Cineform which is free from GoPro (another good choice is DNxHD which is free from Avid). However, if you don't feel like installing third-party codecs, a Quicktime with the PNG codec is smaller and Quicktime with the Photo JPEG codec is even smaller. (While not technically lossless, at high quality settings the Photo JPEG codec is visually lossless.)

Then you can use the file you just rendered with the intermediate codec in the Adobe Media Encoder to make your final deliverable.

Not only does this workflow allow you to utilize AE's superior rendering and AME's superior compression, but it also lets you experiment with various compression settings on your deliverable (multipass encoding, various bit rates, etc.) to get the highest quality video WITHOUT having to re-render your AE comp over and over - you're just working from a single video file! It's a much faster way to get the best product.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 1:45 PM   in reply to fastnoc

Okay, then provide details about:

Your machine

Your OS: precise version number right down to the last decimal point

Your AE version: the same precision as above applies

Your nifty card, and the details about it; I'm talkin' driver version numbers and the like

Otherwise, this discussion isn't going anywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 1:53 AM   in reply to fastnoc

I must be really stupid here. It sounds like you are asking how to set up the Render Cue or the AME to use a specific render setting automatically. This is as simple as can be in the Output Module and a basic skill everyone should have. Just open the Output module settings window and make your 'special' setting the default. I do this all the time and change it based on client requirements. It takes about 15 seconds. Here's what the panel looks like:

Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 1.50.27 AM.png

I've chosen a DI (Digital Intermediate) JPEG 2000 with no audio as the default in this example because that is what one of my clients wants for the projects I have been working on this week. Next week I'll probably switch it to a Black Magic Design 10 bit output because that's what the next client in the cue wants.

The procedure is almost identical for the Adobe Media Encoder.

The presets in the AME are "industry Standard" and produce excellent results. Lossless ( the default for the output module) is also an industry standard production codec. You can create any setup you want and then just define it as the default. I'm not seeing the problem unless you've tried this and it does not work.  

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points