Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop applies extreme sharpening/graininess to photos when opened

Feb 12, 2014 6:41 PM

They look fine as thumbnails or in ACR but once they get to Photoshop CC they are oversharpened and extremely grainy. Any idea why?

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 12, 2014 10:40 PM   in reply to russelraypc@aol.com

Can you please provide a screen grab here?  Though you've described classic symptoms of oversharpening, often times it's easy to jump right to an answer after seeing exactly what someone else is seeing.

Check your sharpening settings in Camera Raw.  I normally turn them down to 0 myself, as I prefer Smart Sharpen in Photoshop proper, and some of my own tools as well.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 13, 2014 8:44 AM   in reply to russelraypc@aol.com

Photoshop CC can be quite stable (it is for me) but I think it has unprecedented dependencies on the GPU that make it paramount that you have the very best display driver possible.  Generally speaking, this means the latest release, and right now with the two big makers (ATI and nVidia) I believe this is the case.  I am using ATI Catalyst 13.12 at the moment; it seems solid.

Sounds like you and I started in computers around the same time (38 years of software engineering for me).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 13, 2014 2:03 PM   in reply to russelraypc@aol.com

russelraypc@aol.com wrote:

I have a big, bad computer since my work involves video and photograph creation and manipulation.

There's your problem, right there!  You need a big, GOOD one. 

Just kidding.  I'm sorry to hear you've had the kinds of problems that put you off from accepting updates.  Generally speaking, Adobe does come through, but maybe it's a good idea to wait a week or two after the release of an update and read about how others are getting along with it before letting the Creative Cloud applciation do the update.  I can assure you that Adobe is aware that their update process needs to get more refined.

By the way I can suggest some things I've successfully disabled if you'd like your big, bad computer to run leaner.  Do you use the freeware tool AutoRuns?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points